Retaining preceding zeros when passing data to and from .txt files

shoemakerlevy9

Hi,

I am trying to pass barcode data from excel to a text file and then back into excel. The barcodes are 8 or 12 character long and they can have or not have preceding zeros. I know of several ways to retain preceding zeros such as adding apostrophes before data or using custom formatting, but these methods are lost when the data is transferred to a text file.

I'm quite sure I'm limited on my options here since .txt files are so basic but if any one has any related advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Joe4

MrExcel MVP, Junior Admin
Office Version
Platform
Windows
Welcome to the Board!
I know of several ways to retain preceding zeros such as adding apostrophes before data or using custom formatting, but these methods are lost when the data is transferred to a text file.
They shouldn't be lost. Many times, they are, in fact, not being lost. People may just not know how to view the text files.
How are you using the text files? You should be using a Text Editor, like NotePad. If you use Excel, it is re-converting the data and dropping the zeroes at that point (but the text file does, in fact, have them). You should never use Excel to view Text files, if you want to see what they really look like.

If your Text files do not have the leading zeroes, then we would need to know how you are converting the data from Excel to Text. There may be a problem with the way you are doing it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
inzimam

Some videos you may like

This Week's Hot Topics

• populate from drop list with multiple tables
    Hi All, i have a drop list that displays data, what i want is when i select one of those from the list to populate text from different tables on...
  • Find list of words from sheet2 in sheet1 before a comma and extract text vba
    Hi Friends, Trying to find the solution on my task. But did not find suitable one to the need. Here is my query and sample file with details...
  • Dynamic Formula entry - VBA code sought
    Hello, really hope one of you experts can help with this - i've spent hours on this and getting no-where. .I have a set of data (more rows than...
  • Listbox Header
    Have a named range called "AccidentsHeader" Within my code I have: [CODE]Private Sub CommandButton1_Click() ListBox1.RowSource =...
  • Complex Heat Map using conditional formatting
    Good day excel world. I have a concern. Below link have a list of countries that carries each country unique data. [URL...
  • Conditional formatting
    Hi good morning, hope you can help me please, I have cells P4:P54 and if this cell is equal to 1 then i want row O to say "Fully Utilised" and to...