Retaining preceding zeros when passing data to and from .txt files

shoemakerlevy9

Hi,

I am trying to pass barcode data from excel to a text file and then back into excel. The barcodes are 8 or 12 character long and they can have or not have preceding zeros. I know of several ways to retain preceding zeros such as adding apostrophes before data or using custom formatting, but these methods are lost when the data is transferred to a text file.

I'm quite sure I'm limited on my options here since .txt files are so basic but if any one has any related advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
Welcome to the Board!
I know of several ways to retain preceding zeros such as adding apostrophes before data or using custom formatting, but these methods are lost when the data is transferred to a text file.
They shouldn't be lost. Many times, they are, in fact, not being lost. People may just not know how to view the text files.
How are you using the text files? You should be using a Text Editor, like NotePad. If you use Excel, it is re-converting the data and dropping the zeroes at that point (but the text file does, in fact, have them). You should never use Excel to view Text files, if you want to see what they really look like.

If your Text files do not have the leading zeroes, then we would need to know how you are converting the data from Excel to Text. There may be a problem with the way you are doing it.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacob_mcbride

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back