riddle me that

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
The gentleman was standing on a block of ice. When the Ice melted he was hanged.

Q.
A man walking through the woods, sees a cabin 400 feet away. He said to himself "If anyone is in the cabin they are dead". How did he know that if anyone were in the cabin, that they would be dead?

Michael

A: He is in Hell?? and he is the Devil?

Q: The prince races around the world in search for the treasure. Eventually he stumbles in to the split footpath where two dwarfs stand. The sign above the funny looking creatures says:

"The road divides here! One is to the treasure of a lifetime and the next is to an awful destiny. These twin dwarfs can help you however one always tells the truth while the next always tells lies. Each dwarf will answer one question."

What can you ask each dwarf to get to the dear princess?

Michael

Because the cabin is 400 ft away, at the bottom of a cliff having been blown away by a tornado caused by El Nino.

Or he is only seeing the cabin's roof as it's been engulfed by an avalanche and/or a rock fall.

You don't need both dwarves. "If I had asked you yesterday which path to take, what would you have said?" will reveal the *correct* path. Or, if they have knowledge of each other's habits, "If I were to ask the other dwarf which path to take, what would he say?" will reveal the *wrong* path.

Then, you can ask the other dwarf what it's like being a dwarf in a fairy tale and hope for an entertaining story :)

Oaktree i am looking for a better answer...
i really don't see how the "yesterday" twist plays a role? one dwarf would pick one path, the other would pick the other path, who do you listen to?

100% treasure everytime, it is not a play on words. using straight logic, based on all the given info ask two questions.

Yesterday reveals the correct path from either dwarf.

Truth dwarf: yesterday, he would have told you the correct path. Today, he will be truthful about which path he would have said, so he'll tell you the correct path.

Lie dwarf: yesterday, he would have told you the wrong path...and, today, he will lie about what path he would have told you... so, he'd also tell you the correct path.

Basically, it's +1 * +1 = +1 and -1 * -1 = +1. Either way, the dwarf will tell you the correct path.

A: oh i see, i was thinking to

-ask one dwarf is the other dwarf your twin?
-then ask the other dwarf which road to take.

Q:
How is the man doing in the woods 400ft from the cabin? How did he know?

In regards to the prince...
What can you ask each dwarf to get to the dear princess?

Which road takes you to the dear princess anyway...the one with the treasure of a lifetime or the one with an awful destiny...I guess it depends on the princess, right? Even a dear princess could have an awful curse upon her :)

As far as the fellow in the woods, I'm thinking it would be tough to see a cabin 400ft away in most woods I've been in...but say he were walking through the charred remains of a forest (thus the ability to see it) and the cabin had been burned to the ground...???

Q:
Whereever there is light, I am with you.
With the rising and setting of the sun,
I am larger than life and yet
Without a sound I diminish at noon
With closed eyes, you may deny my presence
You may cast me, throw me and
Yet I never leave your side.

Numbermax
You are a shadow! Right?

As far as the Woods...
The cabin was the cabin of a wrecked plane.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kingwi11y

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back