Run-time error 1004: Reference is not valid with Selection.Consolidate and Named Ranges

marc005

Board Regular
Apparently named ranges does not allow you to change the data using code instead you
need to type in the new observations. Consider this:

1) Download the two files; Merg.xlsm and Australia - Close.xlsm to your desktop

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s...gZfZaDuLS8155L0_q_kJZxHcX3GEKKkk02tToeyg&dl=1
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s...rN0QcjK1IM51pIAeUg1bd2ZGEDxvtmcRSneGLYnA&dl=1

2) Hold down shift when you open the file Australia - close.xlsm. Then go to the VBA editor and in the procedure Test1 in ThisWorkbook
change the url Application.Workbooks.Open ("C:\Users\marc\Desktop\Merg.xlsm") to match your desktop.

3) Click on Australia - close.xlsm

4) Click on Merg.xlsm and then go to the VBA editor and in the procedure Merge in Module1
change the url y = "'C:\Users\marc\Desktop\Merg.xlsm'" to match your desktop.

5) Click on Merg.xlsm and run the procedure Merge in Module1
You will now get an error message: Run-time error 1004: Reference is not valid
The named reference will become =OFFSET(#REF!#REF!,0,0,COUNTA(#REF!#REF!),COUNTA(#REF!#REF!))
Instead of =OFFSET(Australia!$A$1,0,0,COUNTA(Australia!$A:$A),COUNTA(Australia!$1:$1))

6) In the procedure Merge remove z13 (z13 = y & "!Australia" where y = "'C:\Users\marc\Desktop\Merg.xlsm'")
in Selection.Consolidate Sources(z1, z2.......z13 , z14 etc )

7) Now everything works as it should!

This is very very strange! The formula for the named ranges appears to become corrupt when you update the data with code.
hummmmm...

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.
OK, I know it's 6 days since you posted, but the files you linked to seem no longer to be there..

Upvote 0
sorry for that. I went another direction and scipt the named ranges. Now I just download everything
in three columns like a million rows and then I run a pivot table on it. Much easier. I should have done that from the start. maybe I should delete this post.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rscraig11

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back