Run time error '380': Could not set the RowSource property. Invalid property value.

klay77

Hi, this is my first time posting, so hopefully I do not mess it up too much.

I am currently using Excel 2013 to create user input forms for recording information about support calls. I am relatively new to VBA and am pretty stumped on the Run-time error I keep receiving.

I have been using the following code to populate the row source, based on whether a particular radio button is selected. Most of the time it works fine, however occasionally it returns Run time error '380': Could not set the RowSource property. Invalid property value.

Private Sub Options()
Workbooks("ms call record form AOP").Activate

Select Case True
Case claims_option
call_reason.RowSource = ("call_reason_claims")

Case membership_option
call_reason.RowSource = ("call_reason_membership")

End Select
End Sub

I thought maybe it was because the users have multiple workbooks open at the same time, and it wasn't running on the correct workbook, however that doesn't seem to be the case.

Any help anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated!

thanks, Kate

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
Welcome to the Board, Kate!

Why are you dealing with multiple workbooks?

Unfortunately, your code doesn't make much sense (to me anyway, but I miss a lot). What does the Case "True" argument refer to, and where are your rowsource references?

If you're trying to collect data from multiple users, Access is a much better option. Or you could also look at the Survey functionality in the Excel Web App, which supports multiple users and it feeds to a central workbook that only you can access.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi Smitty,

I am only working with one workbook, but because the forms are used in a call centre the users often have other workbooks open at the same time on their desktops.

The Case "true" argument refers to the radio button selection. If the "claims_option" radio button is selected (true), then the rowsource for the call_reason combobox is the named range "call_reason_claims", where as if the "membership_option" radio button is selected, then the rowsource for the same combobox is the named range "call_reason_membership".

I hope this makes sense.

This code is working for most users (there are 12 identical forms), however a few of them are returning the error above. The only think I could find different with these users is that they have other workbooks open at the same time.

Also - I would love to use access for this however none of my users have it on their terminals :(. I actually collate and manage all the data collected from the forms in an access database.

Upvote 0
I actually collate and manage all the data collected from the forms in an access database.

Then you're in great shape, since you can create an Access .exe file that's freely (no license) distributable. Just create a Front-End with a Form that they can enter into, and have that feed into your back-end Access db. It's really pretty easy to set up, and will save you a ton of headache. There's an Access forum here if you need help doing that (hint, hint...;))

As for the current issues, I can only guess that you're not explicitly referencing enough, like the path for the workbook: Workbooks("ms call record form AOP").Activate, Option Button Group, sheet holding them, ranges, etc.

It's certainly possible that depending on how your network is set up and how people are accessing the workbook, you might have network address/path issues for different users. It's always dicey in situations like this, and that's where Access is a great alternative.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks Smitty, I thought that might have been what was happening so glad I am not on completely the wrong track. I will check out the Access forum too :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MhammadishaqKhan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back