Save As TXT to Convert to Text

epowell

I have a spreadsheet containing numeric and alpha numeric data that needs to be converted to text before I can use it in my printer software. The only way I can get it to work is to save the spreadsheet as a text file, and then import that file into excel, marking the column as text in the import dialog box. Is there an easier way to do this? This imported file must be an excel file.

I tried creating a new spreadsheet, changing the format of the column to text, and then copying and pasting "values only" from my original spreadsheet, but this doesn't work.

Thank you.

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
Welcome to MrExcel.

You can convert a column of numbers to text using Data|Text To Columns and checking Text under 'Column data format' at Step 3.

Upvote 0
Andrew-

Thank you, that is much faster and will work perfect!

Do you know why I have to do this in the first place? If I select a column and change the format to text, isn't it now text? Or as I mentioned above, if I have a new sheet with a blank column formated as text and I do a paste special values only, shouldn't that data in the new text formated column be text?

Thanks again!

Upvote 0
How do I know what a cell contains? How do I know if data is text or just formated as text?

Upvote 0
And there is no function to convert to text? Only import as text or text to columns?

Thanks again for all of your help!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teemeren

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back