"Save files in this format" setting keeps changing.

F-150 Phill

I am having trouble getting Excel 2007 on my work computer to save as .xlsx by default.

I have opened the Office Button > Excel Options > Save > Save files in this format and selected "Excel Workbook (*.xlsx)," and if I save as before closing Excel then it works perfect and saves the file as .xlsx. However if I close Excel, re-open it later and save a new file the default "Save as type:" is "Excel 97-2003 Workbook (*.xls)" and if I open the save options again the "Save files in this format" option is reverted back to "Excel 97-2003 Workbook (*.xls).":oops:

I have finally overcome the [Compatibility Mode] issue by saving a file named "Book.xltx" (not "Book1.xltx") in the two default locations "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\XLSTART" and "D:\Documents and Settings\username<USERNAME>\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART" (we use the D: drive at work for personal files). I thought this would solve the save as issue but it hasn't. I have also changed the "Save files in this format" before saving the .xltx files in the locations to apply the settings to those specific files but that hasn't helped.

It is on my work computer so I am limited in what settings I can change because they have them pretty well locked down.

Help anyone?:rolleyes:

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
Unfortunatley it is strongly prohibited to download and install files or software on our work computers, even if it is from a trusted source ... IT rules all!

I attempted to check group policy settings by searching help. I tried Run > gpedit.msc as suggested but I "do not have sufficient access rights to access the file."

I can open the Microsoft Managment Console (MMC) by going to Run > mmc. I get window titled "Console 1" with a single file named "Console Root" with not items in it.

Unfortunately this is stepping outside my knowledge of windows so any advice would be appreciated.

Upvote 0
No, I meant have your IT department set a Group Policy? I wasn't suggesting that you try to change it - that's for them to do.

Upvote 0
Our IT department, in their infinite wisdom refuses to change the group policy. Does anyone have a autorun macro to set the option on open? I haven't tried to write one as I just thought of it, but if anyone already has a "user solution", I would appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back