School Database Advice

nytmode

Hi, I’m trying to make a small database for my school for making my students performance analysis easier. I’m doing all this manually in excel since the past 3 years but its getting more and more complicated and time consuming very year so I have thought of shifting to a database.

I have a small background in software engineering but nothing at professional level. Just wanted some advice on the tables and relationships that I would need for this database to work. So my school has grades, then sections for these classes example Grade 7A, Grade 7B, and normal subjects like Science, Maths, English etc. I need to store marks for students for every subject for each year separated term-wise. 3 terms every year.

So this is what I have come up with but not sure if its correct. 3 tables for now. Student, Marks, Class. This is what the relationship looks like (attached image) I should be able to make reports on every student, every class, grade-wise, gender-wise, nationality-wise, term-wise etc etc. Then compare the same student with his last years marks and compare the different grades and sections etc etc. So how to do it? I’m trying it in Ms Access as making reports with the wizard is simpler.

P.S I will be importing all the data through excel sheets into this database.

Student Marks Class
---------------------------------
ID-----------SID CYear
SName CID--------ID
DOB MID CSection
Nationality English CTerm
SEN Maths
Gender Science

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
Cross-posted here: School Database Advice

While we do not prohibit Cross-Posting on this site, we do ask that you please mention you are doing so and provide links in each of the threads pointing to the other thread (see rule #13 here along with the explanation: Forum Rules). This way, other members can see what has already been done in regards to a question, and do not waste time working on a question that may already be answered.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peppernaut

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back