Search for String in a cell in Particular Range in Various Sheets

Meesam

Board Regular
Hi Everyone,

I have almost 90 different workbooks and in each of them there are like 5-10 sheets. I basically have to search through Each of these sheets in each workbook to find a Value NEXT to a certain cell. e.g. If in a sheet, in a particular range it is written "Contract Value:" then i will get the value NEXT to this cell which of course will be the value of contract or value required.
The problem is while searching a certain range that contains the string "Contract" its NOT always getting it right due to the fact that somewhere it is written "Contract Value:" and somewhere else it might be "Contract Value: " (i.e. with spaces after "Value:") and sometimes it can be like "Contract Value:" (more spaces b/w Contract and value).
Here is my overall code but its NOT giving correct values where it deviates from the EXACT "Contract Value:" string.
Code:
For Each ws In wb.Worksheets
            count = count + 1
            On Error Resume Next
                With ws
                    ws.Unprotect
                    Set valLoc1 = .Range("F30:F70").Find(What:="Gross Margin", LookIn:=xlValues, LookAt:= _
                        xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows)
                    valNew1 = valLoc1.Offset(0, 1).Value
                    For Each rCell In Range("F5:F10")
                        If InStr(1, rCell.Value, "Contract Value:") Then
                            valNew2 = rCell.Offset(0, 1).Value
                            Else
                            End If
                    Next
                    newRng.Offset(count, 1).Value = wb.Name
                    newRng.Offset(count, 2).Value = ws.Name
                    newRng.Offset(count, 3).Value = valNew1
                    newRng.Offset(count, 4).Value = valNew2
                End With
        Next ws
Any help is appreciated.

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
Hi

You can try:

Code:
For Each ws In wb.Worksheets
            count = count + 1
            On Error Resume Next
                With ws
                    ws.Unprotect
                    Set valLoc1 = .Range("F30:F70").Find(What:="Gross Margin", LookIn:=xlValues, LookAt:= _
                        xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows)
                    valNew1 = valLoc1.Offset(0, 1).Value
[COLOR=red]                        If InStr(1, UCase(rCell.Value), "CONTRACT") > 0 And InStr(1, UCase(rCell.Value), "VALUE:") > 0 Then[/COLOR]
                            Else
                            End If
                    Next
                    newRng.Offset(count, 1).Value = wb.Name
                    newRng.Offset(count, 2).Value = ws.Name
                    newRng.Offset(count, 3).Value = valNew1
                    newRng.Offset(count, 4).Value = valNew2
                End With
        Next ws
Any help is appreciated.

Upvote 0
Well I just tried it but now NOTHING comes. I think the problem is with the spaces and like finding a way to search for a string inside another string and WHENEVER that string is found, it should work. I tried with FIND but it doesn't work when its NOT exactly equal.

Upvote 0
Hi,

I am able to get below result, and the code capture the last row as well.

<TABLE style="WIDTH: 165pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=220><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 109pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 5302" width=145><COL style="WIDTH: 56pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 2742" width=75><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt" height=20><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 109pt; HEIGHT: 15pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8" id=td_post_2957452 height=20 width=145>contract value:</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 56pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8" width=75>FOUND</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt" height=20><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 15pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8" height=20>Contract Vaalue: </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8"></TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt" height=20><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 15pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8" height=20>contract value:</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8">FOUND</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt" height=20><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 15pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8" height=20>contract value:</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8">FOUND</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt" height=20><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 15pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8" height=20>contract vdfalue:</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8"></TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt" height=20><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 15pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8" class=xl65 height=20>contract dfd value:</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8">FOUND</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Just wandering what is your Range("F5:F10")

Upvote 0
Well basically "F5:F15" is the RANGE in which the Value "Contract Price:" exists. I Tried your code but still its NOT working at all and giving absolutely NOTHING now.

Upvote 0
Hi,

Code:

If you are looking at each sheet,

I think it should be .Range("F5:F10") instead of Range("F5:F10")

But if it is a fix range which taken from a sheet then it is ok. :)

Upvote 0
No that's not the case but anyways brainstorming worked and really THANKS for your help to give me a direction though solution is bit different.

Here is my Solution:

Code:
For Each rCell In Range("F5:F15")
                     If InStr(1, rCell.Value, "Contract Price:") > 0 Then
                            Else
                            End If
                    Next

Regards.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AGreen17

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back