Select Distinct in Excel

welshgasman

Office Version
  1. 2007
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all,
I have an excel workbook, that I use to keep track of all my trips as a community driver.
I would like to see a count of the number of days I volunteered per weekday, Mon, Tue etc.
My sheet is one row per trip with the date, so if I had 4 trips that day there would be 4 rows/records with that date, which let us say is. Monday.
Now I can count the trips on each weekday easy enough with a CountIf(), but I just want to know how many Mondays thru Sunday I volunteered, so for the above example that would be 1 Monday.
If this was Access I could use Select Distinct for date to get this data. Is there a similar method in Excel?

TIA

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes
Something like this maybe? I got the impression from your post that you might have the dates and weekdays listed out in a similar way to the mini sheet below. If you don't have the weekdays listed then that's fine, we should be able to do something without once we know what you do have in your sheet.
Book1
AB
202/10/2023Mon
303/10/2023Tue
403/10/2023Tue
504/10/2023Wed
610/10/2023Tue
704/10/2023Wed
11Mon1
12Tue2
13Wed1
14Thu0
15Fri0
16Sat0
17Sun0
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B2:B7B2=TEXT(A2,"ddd")
B11:B17B11=SUM(IFERROR(1/COUNTIFS($A$2:$A$7,$A$2:$A$7,$B$2:$B$7,$B$2:$B$7,$B$2:$B$7,A11),0))
Press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER to enter array formulas.

Upvote 0
Solution
Thank you jasonb75,
After googling some more, I found the sum(1/countif()) option, but cannot get it to work.
According to the link the range is repeated, but that gets me the same number for each workday, which I know is incorrect.
About to go out on a trip, but I have added a column for now in Q that gives me the weekday and the 7 weekdays in S and that formula in U

And the formula I am trying in the last column is
=SUMPRODUCT(1/COUNTIF(Q$4:Q$1220,Q$4:Q$1220))
or
=SUM(1/COUNTIF(Q$4:Q$1220,Q$4:Q$1220))
from
T

1697029297960.png

However I will take a look at that and see if I can understand and adapt to my situation.

Attachments

• 1697028778993.png
    1697028778993.png
    18.7 KB · Views: 2
Upvote 0
According to the link the range is repeated, but that gets me the same number for each workday, which I know is incorrect.
Countif would only give you the number of unique records in the whole range, you need to use countifs to get the count with additional criteria.
You need to repeat all ranges that are relevant, then add the criteria as an additional range and parameter, with your example image it would be something like
Excel Formula:
=SUMPRODUCT(IFERROR(1/COUNTIFS(N$4:N$1220,N$4:N$1220,O$4:O$1220,O$4:O$1220,P$4:P$1220,P$4:P$1220,Q$4:Q$1220,Q$4:Q$1220,Q$4:Q$1220,S4),0))
Do you have a column with the actual dates in, or are you working solely with columns N:Q as shown in the image (the formula above assumes days in column N).

Also noting the filter at the top of your image, does the formula need to take that into consideration so that only visible records are counted (that is going to be significantly more complicated but should still be possible).

Final question (for now) are you still using excel 2007 as shown on your profile? If you have changed to a newer version then that may have extra functions that will make things easier if the filter needs to be considered.

Upvote 0
@jasonb75
That has done the trick.

Thank you very much. (y)

1697038465547.png

Attachments

• 1697038413283.png
    1697038413283.png
    12.9 KB · Views: 3
Upvote 0
Countif would only give you the number of unique records in the whole range, you need to use countifs to get the count with additional criteria.
You need to repeat all ranges that are relevant, then add the criteria as an additional range and parameter, with your example image it would be something like
Excel Formula:
=SUMPRODUCT(IFERROR(1/COUNTIFS(N$4:N$1220,N$4:N$1220,O$4:O$1220,O$4:O$1220,P$4:P$1220,P$4:P$1220,Q$4:Q$1220,Q$4:Q$1220,Q$4:Q$1220,S4),0))
Do you have a column with the actual dates in, or are you working solely with columns N:Q as shown in the image (the formula above assumes days in column N).

Also noting the filter at the top of your image, does the formula need to take that into consideration so that only visible records are counted (that is going to be significantly more complicated but should still be possible).

Final question (for now) are you still using excel 2007 as shown on your profile? If you have changed to a newer version then that may have extra functions that will make things easier if the filter needs to be considered.
I have tested for Sat and Sun, the least number to check and they work fine, so I am assuming the otehrs are correct.
I might just link it ot Access and run a query to be doubly sure, but it all looks good.

Yes my column A is the date. I added the weekday column today and the weekdays column today.
Yes, still using 2007, it is enough for my needs. I am retired and just find the odd use for it, like my trip sheets and master sheet. This sheet is my master sheet, where the monthly data is appended to.
For my personal use only, not the community car use. They are just interested in the monthly sheets at the end of every month.

Thanks again.

Upvote 0
Can confirm all is good. Values shown, are the same as the result Access queries. (y)

Upvote 0
Yes my column A is the date. I added the weekday column today and the weekdays column today.
With that in mind, this should give you the same results
Excel Formula:
=SUMPRODUCT(IFERROR(1/COUNTIFS(A$4:A$1220,$A4:A$1220,Q$4:Q$1220,Q$4:Q$1220,Q$4:Q$1220,S4),0))
Alternatively, I should be able to do it just from column A using other functions to eliminate the need for the additional columns if you would prefer to have a little less clutter in your sheet.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bes000

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back