Select multiple values from a list and display in cell

SebastiaanWexcel

First of, hello to all.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
I am trying to improve a few excel forms that contain lists of applications and situations. <o:p></o:p>
What i am trying to achieve is to have a user select multiple values from a list and have these selections listed in another cell as text separated by a comma. So a user selects for any given application in what situation or situations it is used.<o:p></o:p>
So that in the future a filter can be specified that shows all applications that are usable in a specific situation (for instance all applications that are usable in case of 'fire')<o:p></o:p>
  • Im trying to do it with a dropdown list with multiple selections possible, maybe its wiser to use a dif type of list<o:p></o:p>
  • Maybe i should list the different situations in separate cells ?<o:p></o:p>
Regards,<o:p></o:p>
Sebastiaan<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
Hi Sebastiaan,

Yes, this can be done. But how to do it depends on whether you are using

1. Data Validation with a list to select the item(s) one at a time;

2. a ListBox control with its MultiSelect property set to 1 to enable the items to all be selected at once;

3. a ComboBox dropdown control to select the item(s) one at a time.

Let me know which you are using and I will provide some code.

Damon

Upvote 0
Hello Damon Ostrander, thanks for the reply.

I was planning to use the dropdown list option where i select multiple values from a list.

The Data validation option didnt look useable to me as it could happen that 50+ values needed to be selected.

Regards,

Sebastiaan

Upvote 0
Hi again Sebastiaan,

Okay, then you will need approach 2, and to make it drop down when you select the cell you will need a few lines of code. This is a bit much to try to explain, so I'm PMing you with a solution.

Damon

Upvote 0
Hi again Sebastiaan,

Okay, then you will need approach 2, and to make it drop down when you select the cell you will need a few lines of code. This is a bit much to try to explain, so I'm PMing you with a solution.

Damon

Hello,

I would like to receive the instructions to do this too. I need to pick from a list the values (more than one :) ) that i want to appear in one cell.

Cheers,
A.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojomen56

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back