Selecting Cell "Above"

burchick

I am having issues selecting the cell "above" in formulas.
Example, I want to insert a formula into cell B10, which includes a value from cell B9. So, I select cell B10, click = , and then try to click on cell B9 to insert the value, but it will not allow me the select B9. I can click on any other cell and it works, just not the cell directly above the current cell. Does any one know how to fix this?

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
Not that I am aware of. I can click on any cell except the cell directly above the cell I am working in. I can put a formula into any cell, but every cell acts the same way.

Upvote 0
okie doke,

I'm really not sure about that (have tried google myself)

Are you unable to single click into the cell (B10) then press = and just hit the up arrow?

e.g. = then up should result in =B9

Thanks
Kai

p.s I'm leaving work and going home so may not reply :)

Upvote 0
I guess the arrow up is one solution. It would be nice just to click on the cell.
I noticed that once I click on the cell containing the formula, the cell is only highlighted green on three sides (bottom & both sides, not the top). When I try to select the cell "above", instead of the "cross" mouse pointer, I get an I-Beam pointer. But once I point to another cell, the mouse pointer goes back to the "cross".

Upvote 0
This seems to be a workbook setting, but I am not sure what. I tried a different workbook and it works normally.

Upvote 0
Its hard to see an issue when your working blind but lets try a few things

1st try this

go to file
then got to options
go to advanced
look through and you should see Allow editing directly in cells this should be ticked if you need to change the cells on the worksheet. If you only want to change from the formula bar then this should be un-ticked

if the above is ticked then try some of these
1. Close Excel's shell down and reopen IT's favourite
2. Check to see if the workbook is shared(some functions are disabled however not your issue)
3. check to see if you have any freeze panes( this should not affect selection but is worth a try)

I understand that the above has nothing to-do with your issue however it nice to check

Does your up key work on your keyboard? or is it just for that specific workbook
is there any VBA code in the background?

I am very intrigued to know what is causing this.

Upvote 0
Allow editing directly in cells is ticked.
The up arrow works, but it would be nice to use my mouse to select the cell.
I don't think there is any VBA code.
Is there anyway to send you the excel file to play around with?
Thanks for your help!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mwdbActuary

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back