Separate letters from numbers

cecirue

Hi! I'm new to this board and I'm sure this is a very simple solution however I'm stuck right now.
I have a column that looks like the below however consistently changes in number of characters and letter. I need to be able to separate the numbers from the letters as they are the unit of measurement. I believe the mid or right function would work together however I just can't figure it out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would love to be able to isolate both the numbers and letters into their own cells.

Thanks so much!

2.5Z
2.25Z
2Z
2Z
57G
2Z
2Z
2Z
6UN
2Z
50UN
50UN
10L

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
Welcome to the Board!

Are there always exactly only one or two letters at the end, or are there also other variations?

Upvote 0
always variable. There is no consistency. Here's another batch from it. The most # of letters is 4 letters and the least is 1. As for numbers they vary as well.

2.27KG
1L
2.5KG
2KG
1.7KGA
3KG
2KG
.650GA
125G
500G
1.5KGA
125G
2.8KGA
2.27KG
21G
4.54KG
2.27KG
2.5KG
2.5KG
2.27KG

<tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
Personally, I would be inclined to use VBA and create a User Defined function, as if you have that uncertainty, the formulas can get a little messy.
Here are some past threads that show both formulaic and VBA solutions.
http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/463005-extract-number-alphanumeric-string.html
http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-...ext-middle-alphanumeric-string-up-number.html
http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/786066-formula-extract-numbers-alphanumeric-string.html

Upvote 0
Thanks Joe4! I feared the idea that VBA was the safest way to get the answer to this. I was trying my hardest not to go that route.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Healthydogs

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back