Set chart's Y-axis min. to AUTOMATICALLY graph lowest value

JaredSorensen

Board Regular
I want to create a dynamic graph that not only uses a dynamic max value for the Y-axis, but also a dynamic min value that is NOT ALWAYS zero.

Imagine a graph that displays sales for last 5 days. If the max was $24,578 and the min was $15,697, then I'd want the chart to show a lower bound of $15,000 and an upper bound of $25,000. But if the next week the max was $30,209 and the min was $27,810, then I'd want chart lines from about $27,000 to $31,000. The problem is that if I have the "Auto minimum" checked on the Y-axis, then it always gives me a lower bound of 0--all of which empty space I would prefer to eliminate.

The solution may have something to do with the Format Axis > "Category (X) axis Crosses at: " but I have been unsuccessful even as I tried every combination. One graph I have seen from a colleague, that successfully does what I want to replicate, has the "Auto" column checkmarked for both "Minimum" and "Category (X) axis crosses at:" but the trick is that it displays the same (non-zero) value in the "Minimum" textbox and "Category (X) crosses at:" textbox--and that value changes if the minimum value in the graphing series changes.

Any help would be very welcome! Thanks.

Jared

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ahmad123098

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back