Silly Question: formulas referencing tables in closed workbooks

spydey

Office Version
  1. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
So this might be a silly question .... I have done some research and haven't quite found an answer that either makes sense to me, or is clear enough.

I am having an issue with some of my formulas.

I have workbook 1 (wb1) and workbook 2 (wb2).

In wb1, I have some formulas, let's use Vlookup as an example.

In wb2 I have some data in a table, created via ctrl+T.

My wb1 formula references the data in the wb2 table.

When both workbooks are open, works great.

However, if I open wb1 first, then my formulas return REF# errors.

Once I open wb2, then it auto-updates and all is good.

If I close wb2, the results stay until I update something in wb1 then I get the REF# errors again.

I realized that if I convert the wb2 table back to a range, then even if I don't have wb2 open, the formulas in wb1 work fine.

Why is that? Why can't a formula in wb1 referencing a table in wb2, update correctly if wb2 was not opened prior to wb1 being opened and/or is closed aftwards?

The issue appears to be related to the table objects in outside workbooks, at least that is my observation/conclusion. Am I right in my assumption/observation?

Thanks for taking the time to read my silly question .....

-Spydey

Excel Facts

Copy PDF to Excel
Select data in PDF. Paste to Microsoft Word. Copy from Word and paste to Excel.
Some formulas can not handle closed workbooks, like SUMIF. Vlookup should work on a closed workbook. I do not get the REF error unless I go to the cell with the Vlookup and go into edit mode and then hit enter. When I do a vlookup with cell references instead of table formula nomenclature It does give the REF error so excel looks to have a problem with tables in closed workbook.

Upvote 0
Some formulas can not handle closed workbooks, like SUMIF. Vlookup should work on a closed workbook. I do not get the REF error unless I go to the cell with the Vlookup and go into edit mode and then hit enter. When I do a vlookup with cell references instead of table formula nomenclature It does give the REF error so excel looks to have a problem with tables in closed workbook.

YEah, that is what I was getting. Using Cell reference in the formula works fine with a closed wb, but using a table reference with a closed wb is giving me the REF# error.

-Spydey

Upvote 0
You may find this MrExcel video helpful as to what is happing. Apparently when the vlookup points to a table then the data is not saved in the file with the vlookup like it is when it uses cell references.

https://youtu.be/-0cDSt0Io40

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back