Simplifying long 'MAX' formula

koleyg

Hi, New here and my experience level with excel is only a little above basic. using Excel 2010 and trying to mock up a time sheet template; have got most formulas in place however need a bit of help with simplifying the formula below

=(MAX(H14,0)+MAX(H15,0)+MAX(H16,0)+MAX(H19,0)+MAX(H20,0)+MAX(H22,0)+MAX(H23,0)+MAX(H24,0)+MAX(H27,0)+MAX(H28,0)) ... SUM (H14,H15 etc.) cells also custom formatted to show #,##0.00;;

what i need it to do is total (sum) the cells, but not show any of the negatives, in a less bulky formula if at all possible.

Any help would be appreciated.

cheers
Koley

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
When you say not show the negatives.. you mean you only want to add postive values, or you just don't want the result to show if the total is a negative?

Upvote 0
I have other formulas that feed into that cell; that when say: C14 : F14 are empty, H14 = '-0.40' (to adjust for a 7.60 hr day/time as lunch break is a preset value of 24 mins) ... this negative value does not show but is taken into account when adding the total as over a two week period it takes -4.0 hrs off the total ... if I'm making any sense? Don't know how else to explain it sorry.

So i need it to: Add up the positives - take the negatives and hide the value in H-Cells if they are the negative '-0.40'

I hope that's understandable. :S

Upvote 0
Are the spaces in the range (such as H17, H18 etc.) empty or do you specifically need to exclude them? If they are just empty you could us the formula =sumif(H14:H28,">0").

Upvote 0
if H14 is a negative, and you sum it... it will subtracted from the total. You can stop negative from showing up like this.... =if(sum(H14:H20)<0,"",sum(H14:H20))

Upvote 0
Thanks Shadow123 worked wonderfully

@ Teeroy all cells between H14-H27 have values in them :)

Thank you both .... honestly I'm a bit out of my depth working with formulas and I really appreciate the help!! Cheers !

Upvote 0
sorry back to it ... just did a manual working out of the hours and its not working as i thought. it's taking the negatives from all cells but i don't want it to necessarily.

this: G14=SUM(D14-C14)+(F14-E14) gives me 'total hours worked - less the lunch break' in HH:mm
where D14&E14 are the lunch break times ie 12:00 - 12:24 ... & ... C14&F14 are the start & finish times ie 7:00 - 16:00

this: H14=G14*(24)+IF(I14="PH","0.40") converts the HH:mm's to equivalent decimal and if C14 & F14 are 'empty' then H14="-0.40" though is not shown in the cell.

these formulas run through/across range C14-H28, the previous MAX formula I posted allowed for the -0.40 in H and didn't subtract it from the SUM total but only added positives

gawd I hope that makes sense?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yesitisasport

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back