SKU Automation

holt0222

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello, I am new to using excel but I am trying to make it so that it will automatically create a SKU for me. I have items that range such as Books, Movies, TV Shows, and Collectibles. These are just some examples of the categorizes that I have. Currently I have the excel sheet to look something like this.

SKUNameDescriptionUnit PriceStockUPCType of Product

<tbody>
</tbody>

I am trying to make it so that the first letter of type of product is sent to the beginning of the SKU and then numbers are added randomly to the end of the letter. If anyone knows how I would do this it would be greatly appreciated. I am needing to make it so that when I add a new item it automatically is assigned a SKU number.

Excel Facts

Show numbers in thousands?
Use a custom number format of #,##0,K. Each comma after the final 0 will divide the displayed number by another thousand
the first letter of type of product is sent to the beginning of the SKU and then numbers are added randomly to the end of the letter

depending on how many numbers you add, if they are random, there chances are that, at some point, you will end up wit duplicate SKU's. Adding extra numbers will only postpone that, not eliminate it. It would be better if you had an actual sequence/logic to the SKU?

Also, if you have more than 26 different items, again, you risk having duplicate SKU's

Perhaps use the 1st 2 letters of/for each category, then great a series of increasing numbers for each category?

Upvote 0
What about if you used the first letter from the category and then just went up from 1. Would it be possible to do it in a sequential order?

Upvote 0
yes, we could do that, but 2 letters would be better - what if you cat "Collectibles" and "Cards" and/or "Cars"?

A​
B​
C​
1​
NameTypeSku
2​
aaBooksB1
3​
bbMoviesM1
4​
ddTV ShowsT1
5​
ccCollectablesC1
6​
eeBooksB2
7​
rrBooksB3

C2=LEFT(B2,1)&COUNTIF($B$2:B2,B2) copied down

Upvote 0
Thank you so much. I have taken your advice and done the first 2 letters.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Excel Master

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back