Slow file using index/match calculations

espinozr

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,

I have an excel file with 3 tables (10 columns x 1600 rows each), where I do an index/match search for each column (15K values in total per table).
Although the tables are big, they don't strike me as massive and yet the file is extremely slow to run. Here is a screenshot of the calculations:

1687336329961.png

Basically for each date, I need to check whether is the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc installation in the upper table (W3:W7). I have two additional tables with similar formulas.
So far I am copying and hard pasting the values for the periods I’ve already calculated, but I was wondering if is there any other way of running these calculations more efficiently?

Thanks,

Attachments

• 1687336157406.png
    1687336157406.png
    184.7 KB · Views: 6

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
There's actually quite a lot of work so perhaps its not a surprise its slow.

But the main thing is I can't see why you're making it so complicated. The date in column W appears to have no impact, other than making the MATCH look for 'something' You would be as well to simply count the number of entries in the column above: replace your entire formula with '=COUNT(AA$3:AA$7)'.

Upvote 0
There's actually quite a lot of work so perhaps its not a surprise its slow.

But the main thing is I can't see why you're making it so complicated. The date in column W appears to have no impact, other than making the MATCH look for 'something' You would be as well to simply count the number of entries in the column above: replace your entire formula with '=COUNT(AA$3:AA$7)'.
Hi Peter, thanks for your reply.

I'm probably missing something, but "CountA" will only give me the total for all the dates.

What I need is to show the number of installations based on the dates in the upper table. For example, for "B", my table will show 1 for all the dates until 15/12/2019, then "2" between 16/12/2019 and 17/01/2022, and then 3 for all the dates after 18/01/2022.

1687341535253.png

Upvote 0
Ah, that makes sense. I'd try
Excel Formula:
=IFERROR(COUNTIF($X3:$X7,"<="&W10),0)
as that ought to be quicker. (you might need to adjust the cell references).

Upvote 0
Solution
What version of Excel are you using?

I suggest that you update your Account details (or click your user name at the top right of the forum) so helpers always know what Excel version(s) & platform(s) you are using as the best solution often varies by version. (Don’t forget to scroll down & ‘Save’)

Upvote 0
What version of Excel are you using?

I suggest that you update your Account details (or click your user name at the top right of the forum) so helpers always know what Excel version(s) & platform(s) you are using as the best solution often varies by version. (Don’t forget to scroll down & ‘Save’)
I'm using Office 365 (windows). Profile updated.

Upvote 0
Thank's for that. (y)
Did you try the formula in post#4?
another option is
Excel Formula:
=MAXIFS($W$3:$W$7,X$3:X$7,"<="&$W11)

Upvote 0
Both formulas work, but both are very similar in terms of time. The first time I copied the formula in the whole range, both methods took ~42 seconds, and only 3 seconds after clicking "calculate now" for a second time.
I usually use this spreadsheet in manual (it was very slow), I'll use it with automatic calculations with both methods to see if there is a difference. It does seem faster.

Thanks four your help

Upvote 0
Glad we could help & thanks for the feedback.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Michele317

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back