Some controls not working after Windows update.

sykes

Office Version
Platform
Windows
Hi Folks
I've not had to ask a question for a very long time - but have a problem:

I've just completed the most recent Windows update, and now many of my ActiveX controls don't work.

Controls on userforms still work, and I can add new ones, but those on spreadsheets are visible, but don't even allow themselves to be pressed. If I try to add a new control to a spreadsheet, I get an error message "Cannot insert object."

If any code runs which refers to these controls, I get the error message "Method or data member not found."

It's as if ActiveX controls on spreadsheets are not recognised any more.

Can anyone shed any light?

I was wondering if the reference to the appropriate library is missing, perhaps?

EDIT: Windows Vista, Office 2007.

Last edited:

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.

sykes

Office Version
Platform
Windows
Hi Mark
Thanks for the quick response.

That looked hopeful, but having followed the instructions, and deleted all of the .exd files, the symptoms still exist.

MARK858

MrExcel MVP
Office Version
365, 2010
Platform
Windows, Mobile
Can you just list the folders you checked for the .xld files and did you close and restart excel?
Are you using Excel 2013?

sykes

Office Version
Platform
Windows
Mark

I just repeated the exercise, and deleted the files from the Recycle bin as well, and that was successful.

This page helped describe things a little better as well:

Office Update breaks ActiveX controls | Excel Matters

Even when the first attempt didn't work, at least it was good to know that it wasn't a problem with my code or workbook, but rather something that had been caused by the recent update.

Thanks again for your help.

MARK858

MrExcel MVP
Office Version
365, 2010
Platform
Windows, Mobile
Yes I've seen both links and some get on better with one and some with the other (and seen a few others as well). Think I will post both if needed in future :biggrin:

Glad you got it sorted (and hopefully Microsoft might supply a patch soon).

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wedloski

This Week's Hot Topics

• Copy entire row if CountA <>0 to another sheet
    [B]I want to copy entire row if CountA <>0 for column J7:AM7 (headers on J6:AM6) and so on till the last used cell is column D and paste the...
  • Select last used Row in Table
    I have created a Table in a Worksheet which is locked to prevent user errors and protect formula. Some of the cells require freetext entries which...
  • excel workbook: do not allow certain file name
    Hello all, Don't think this has ever been asked before, but how do I restrict file save [Before_Save Event] if the name of the file being saved...
  • fixing problem autofilter
    hello i need help about my code when i search by code in textbox it doesn't show anything this is my data [ATTACH type="full"...
  • “Weight”
    Hi, i’ve got a long sheet filled with weights such as kg,g,L & ml. i can build a formula to convert kg into g and liter into ml. How ever, my...
  • How to capitalize everything before a certain character?
    In column A, I have some text: Hello good day.mp3 Hello good day.flac etc. I'd like to capitalize everything before the period. I don't need the...