Some questions on Comments....

slyde

Hi guys,

I am trying to add some comments to some cells of my Excel sheet. Some questions...

1) I already have much of this information that i want in the comments in other cells of another sheet of my excel file. Is there a way i can make a comment linked to another cell, to show that data. Or, will i be forced to just copy and paste the info into each comment?

2) How can i set up my comment so that it only shows when i mouse over the cell that contains it, and dissapear when the user moves the mouse off it, without the user having to click the cell or unclick the comment once it appears...

I think you are un-clear as to how comments work and how code works.

The in-cell comment that is loaded by Right-Clicking a cell puts a red triangle th the upper right of the cell. When the user hovers over that triangle the comment is shown.

Data - Validation comment will show through the assistant and can be possitioned through the assistant or if the assistant is not up, then a text box opens next to the selected cell whenever that cell is selected.

The other comments are event driven and use code or update the Ready prompt or Caption bar of the active window with your comment.

What are you doing, what do you want to happen and under what conditions should it happen?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.

you are right that i AM confused... please chalk this up to just not knowing Excell very well.

What i want to do is this...

I have an excell file that has 2 sheets within it. There are a number of cells on sheet1 where i would like more information to pop up if the user mouses over it. That new pop up infomation would be comming from other cells, all on sheet 2.

Does that help?

Upvote 0
There is no direct way to do that. There are work-arounds though, but most only work well is the number of cells that get dynamic updating are few. This type of code slows your application down. So there will be a lag in most operations, like selecting a cell. You may select it and even do something and then the code action kicks in a little after the fact. This is not much of a problem when only a few cells are updated.

The best and fastest way is to use a cell comment that you hard-text directly. I personally use Data-Validation Comments that are tied to the Assistant rather than cell comments. The main difference is the cell comment works when the mouse hovers and the Data-Validation Comment works when the cell is selected.

Code solutions tend to get too long when 200 individual cells must be uniquely updated.

If I knew more about what you are doing, we may find a better work-around?

Upvote 0

Thanks for your help Joe.

I think you hit the nail on the head. My first idea was to hard code the comments directly, but since i didnt know Excell i was just hoping i wouldnt have to do 200 cut and pastes, but its not a crazy amount of work.

Also, every few months i will be adding to this table, so i will just need to do this extra step when i add items from now on.

Thank you very much for all your help!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macca_18380

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back