Sort cells if worksheet is protected

Bengt

I am trying to sort protected cells in a protected worksheet. When you protect your worksheet, there is a checkbox that, if checked, apparently should allow users to sort the worksheet, but it doesn't matter whether or not you check this box and protect the worksheet. Excel won't allow you to sort anyway. The only "remedy" - if indeed that is the correct word - is to unprotect the cells that you want to sort - which of course only is possible if you unprotect the work sheet :confused:.

So bottom line: Is there a way to sort protected cells in a protected work sheet? If not, what was the point in including the check box to allow users to sort?

This observation relates to Excel 2003.

Bengt

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
Hello Bengt

The data range you wish to sort must be unlocked. Select the range, go to Format Cells (Ctrl+1), on the Protection tab uncheck Locked.

If you need them locked then you need to unprotect the sheet first.

Upvote 0
Hello Bengt

The data range you wish to sort must be unlocked. Select the range, go to Format Cells (Ctrl+1), on the Protection tab uncheck Locked.

If you need them locked then you need to unprotect the sheet first.
Thank you, I suspected that much. But what still puzzles me is what the checkbox "Allow users to sort data" is there for. Do you know?

Bengt

Upvote 0
Sort is completely disallowed if you protect your sheet, regardless of whether or not ranges are unlocked. Sort is only available on unlocked ranges if the sort check box is ticked.

Upvote 0
So is there any way to lock the cells but allow them to be sorted?

I agree with Bengt's question. What is the purpose of having the checkboxes to
"Allow all users of this worksheet to:" (sort for example) if they don't actually allow users to sort?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BBV123

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back