sort ranges of data based on order of values in a list

Doug Mutzig

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Good morning all! I received a request for help that has me stumped and I am hoping someone can offer some guidance on what to do.

The end user has created a worksheet that has several data entry cells (see picture). The first entry for each section is the room number which comes from a drop down selection list. Since patients can be placed in any room at any time they would like to be able to sort all of the sections by room number. I believe they want only rooms with a patient to be sorted and empty rooms moved to the bottom. There are no tables for these sections, but the ranges are static. Is there a way to review all of the input data by range and then sort the ranges by room number and name (something entered vs. blank)?

dataentry-display format.png

I am thinking that a change to an input form that enters the data into a table and then somehow displays that table contents in the format shown would be a better way to do, I just do not know how to get the data from that table to the format shown. I know it could be as easy as linked cells; however, I am wondering if there is a better way?

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
Hi Dear,

Since this will create a database, yes, having one input sheet that logs those records as a table is a better setup. However, this will require VBA codes.
Instead, I recommend utilising MS Access. There many tutorials on youtube on how to create a form and querying the database.

Best Regards
M. Yusuf

Upvote 0
Hi Mamady! Thank you very much for the quick response. I had thought of access as it seems perfect for this, but our organization discourages the use of access or "rogue" databases so I have have to work with excel (even though the same underlying issue is there, i.e. someone leaves and no one knows how to edit/fix it).

Upvote 0
Hi @Doug Mutzig, I would maybe request a change within your company for this to be implemented into the main business system if they discourage the use of working off system, it sounds like you have a fairly decent business case for the requirement

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bsb1122

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back