Spilled INDIRECT to another sheet.

PrettyGood_Not Great

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,

I am trying to find a 365 solution to the following equation that will allow for a vertical spill. Seems that INDIRECTS doesn't work well in dynamic array formulas.

@INDIRECT("'"&$C11&"'!"&@CELL("address",$F$8))

Where $C11 is the sheet name, and $F$8 is the target cell to be returned from each sheet.

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
Maybe
Excel Formula:
=MAP(C11:C15,LAMBDA(m,INDIRECT("'"&m&"'!F8")))

Upvote 0
Solution
Maybe
Excel Formula:
=MAP(C11:C15,LAMBDA(m,INDIRECT("'"&m&"'!F8")))
Hi Fluff, super close. If the array (C11:C15 in your example) is set exactly to the list of tab names then it works, however if that range is larger than the list (i.e. this list can change in size due to user inputs... the file is a template for any user), then I get the #SPILL Error.

Is there any error handling that could be incorporated to allow for blanks in the C11# range?

Upvote 0
How about
Excel Formula:
=MAP(C11:C15,LAMBDA(m,IF(m="","",INDIRECT("'"&m&"'!F8"))))

Upvote 1
How about
Excel Formula:
=MAP(C11:C15,LAMBDA(m,IF(m="","",INDIRECT("'"&m&"'!F8"))))
Hi Fluff, thanks for this. Turns out both of your solutions work, the issue seems to be, for some reason, that because the C range is a Named Range located on another sheet and referenced here (i.e column C = 'Named Range'). So it has nothing to do with blank rows. odd, as I thought named ranges worked fluently with dynamic arrays.

Have you see something like this before? aware of any workarounds (other than removing the named range as it's used in many locations within the file)

Upvote 0
Works quite happily for me with a named range. How are you defining the name range?

Upvote 0
Works quite happily for me with a named range. How are you defining the name range?
I fluff, I got it. there was errant data below the spilled equation! Still odd as when I used a limited range in column C, it spilled. No matter, it works! thanks again.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Glad it's sorted & thanks for the feedback.

Upvote 0
@PrettyGood_Not Great
In your future questions, please mark the post as the solution that actually answered your question, instead of your response message as it will help future readers. No further action is required for this thread as the marked solution has been changed from post 3 to post 2.

Upvote 0
@PrettyGood_Not Great
In your future questions, please mark the post as the solution that actually answered your question, instead of your response message as it will help future readers. No further action is required for this thread as the marked solution has been changed from post 3 to post 2.
Thanks for the correction, accidents happen.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ikke

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back