Split street address into cells

sammy1

Hello All. I need a few formulas that will split the below addresses into the following separate cells
  1. House number
  2. Street Name
  3. City Name
  4. State
  5. Zip code
  6. County

The data i receive looks like column A. I need a formula that will produce the right side of my table.
Thanks very much in advance
Source DataFormula NeededFormula NeededFormula NeededFormula NeededFormula NeededFormula Needed
Address>>>House NumberStreet NameCityStateZipCounty
4321 Fielding Way Stone Mountain, GA, 30088 Dekalb County>>>4321Field WayStone MountainGA30088Dekalb County
123 Little River Dr Savannah, GA, 31419 Chatham County>>>123Little River DrSavannahGA31419Chatham
40 Third St Elko, GA, 31025 Houston County>>>40Third StElkoGA31025Houston

<tbody>
</tbody>

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
separate fields can be done but it may be tough for the street name and city since there is nothing that can distinguish which is which unless we have a list of cities..

Hello All. I need a few formulas that will split the below addresses into the following separate cells
  1. House number
  2. Street Name
  3. City Name
  4. State
  5. Zip code
  6. County

The data i receive looks like column A. I need a formula that will produce the right side of my table.
Thanks very much in advance
Source DataFormula NeededFormula NeededFormula NeededFormula NeededFormula NeededFormula Needed
Address>>>House NumberStreet NameCityStateZipCounty
4321 Fielding Way Stone Mountain, GA, 30088 Dekalb County>>>4321Field WayStone MountainGA30088Dekalb County
123 Little River Dr Savannah, GA, 31419 Chatham County>>>123Little River DrSavannahGA31419Chatham
40 Third St Elko, GA, 31025 Houston County>>>40Third StElkoGA31025Houston

<tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
@ jarjarbingie
There is one way to distinguish the street name. However, i am not sure how to put this in excel formula format. If we look from the right hand side, we know there are two key distinguishing features of a street name.
1. From the right, a street name is Always preceded by a ONE WORD city which is preceded by state and a comma.
2. From the left, the street name is Always preceded by numbers.

Upvote 0
in your example, Stone Mountain isn't one word..

@ jarjarbingie
There is one way to distinguish the street name. However, i am not sure how to put this in excel formula format. If we look from the right hand side, we know there are two key distinguishing features of a street name.
1. From the right, a street name is Always preceded by a ONE WORD city which is preceded by state and a comma.
2. From the left, the street name is Always preceded by numbers.

Upvote 0
Maybe:

1. House Number
=LEFT(A2,SEARCH(" ",A2,1)-1)
2. Street Name
=SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE($A2,",",REPT(" ",LEN($A2))),(1-1)*LEN($A2)+1,LEN($A2))),C2,""),E2,"")
3. City
=TRIM(RIGHT(SUBSTITUTE(TRIM(TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE($A2,",",REPT(" ",LEN($A2))),(1-1)*LEN($A2)+1,LEN($A2))))," ",REPT(" ",60)),120))
4. State
=LEFT(TRIM(RIGHT(SUBSTITUTE(TRIM(A2),",",REPT(" ",60)),120)),SEARCH(" ",TRIM(RIGHT(SUBSTITUTE(TRIM(A2),",",REPT(" ",60)),120)),1)-1)
5. ZIP
=LEFT(TRIM(RIGHT(SUBSTITUTE(A2," ",REPT(" ",90)),270)),SEARCH(" ",TRIM(RIGHT(SUBSTITUTE(A2," ",REPT(" ",90)),270)),1)-1)
6. County
=RIGHT(TRIM(RIGHT(SUBSTITUTE(A2," ",REPT(" ",90)),270)),LEN(TRIM(RIGHT(SUBSTITUTE(A2," ",REPT(" ",90)),270)))-SEARCH(" ",TRIM(RIGHT(SUBSTITUTE(A2," ",REPT(" ",90)),270))))

or see this
https://www.dropbox.com/s/p62ajw1fl7r95c5/Split Address.xlsx?dl=0

hope this works, see u

Last edited:
Upvote 0
B2 = left($a2,search(" ",$a2)-1)
c2 ?
D2 ?
E2 = mid($a2,search(",",$a2)+2,2)
f2 = mid($a2,search("/",substitute($a2,",","/",2))+2,5)
g2 = right($a2,len($a2)-search(f2,$a2)-5)

Upvote 0
Thanks Azumi, It looks good but on the 2nd and 3rd row Dr for drive and St for street are coming in as a part of the city. Any one have any tips on how to keep the city and street name completely separate.

Output from Azumi's formulas
A1House NumberStreet NameCityStateZIPCounty
4321 Fielding Way Stone Mountain, GA, 30088 Dekalb County4321 Fielding WayStone MountainGA30088Dekalb County
123 Little River Dr Savannah, GA, 31419 Chatham County123 Little RiverDr SavannahGA31419Chatham County
40 Third St Elko, GA, 31025 Houston County40 ThirdSt ElkoGA31025Houston County

<tbody>
</tbody>

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You are probably not going to find a formula that will work without something in the data to define for sure where the street address ends. The two word cities are going to be an issues as you have already seen. Something like the comma you see after city and state. Another possibility is if you can provide a list of all the street abbreviations.
St. Wy. Ct. Ave. Pl. etc, then you could have a code solution that splits up the data based on finding those abbreviations in your data. Maybe there's even a way to look at a list like that in a formula, but that's for the formula gurus on this board. I could probably handle a code solution with the abbreviations I mentioned.

Good Luck!!! :cool:

Upvote 0
I believe i can get a list of all cities in my data set. Is there a way we can find differentiate the street and city name equipped with this new information

Thanks very much for all the support.

Upvote 0
Another possibility is if you can provide a list of all the street abbreviations. St. Wy. Ct. Ave. Pl. etc, then you could have a code solution that splits up the data based on finding those abbreviations in your data.
Unfortunately, that list is long. Here is the US Post Office's official list..

C1 Street Suffix Abbreviations

Some of them I have never heard of, others I am sure could have a different spelling (for example, the Post Office shows only Ave for Avenue, but I have seen it written Av also).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daymo66

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back