Spreadsheet crashing Excel

Mark Phillips

Hi all,
We have an issue with a shared sheet causing one user's excel to hang and needing to be killed in task manager.
the facts:
Sheet created in Office 2003
Sheet is 6.5MB
Sheet has external links to other workbooks
It works for all other users (even on the same PC that the affected user logs on to)
Problem occurs in any version of Excel as long as the affected user is logged on.
We've given the user a completely clean roaming profile (and removed all old profiles from his PC)
Disabling external links makes no difference.
No other spreadsheets cause this user's Excel to crash.
Problem is PC independant (ie moves with the user) and is not affected by the PCs specs (we've tried 1GB and 2GB PCs, laptops and desktops, wireless and cable connections).
All our PCs are XP SP3, the majority have Office 2003 SP3 and one or two have 2007 and 2010.
Our best thought is that something to do with the external links is causing the problem (despite the fact that disabling them doesn't fix it) but we can't prove anything. We need to be able to find where they're referred to so we can at least remove them and test.
If there's any other info that will help please ask
The whole of our desktop support team is stuck with this one so any expert knowledge or suggestions would be appreciated.
TIA
Mark P.

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.
Does it happen if the user opens Excel in Safe mode and then opens the file?

Upvote 0
OK - I logged in as the user on my PC (which has 2010) and was going to try safe mode but forgot. Oddly enough the spreadsheet loaded but gave an error saying it couldn't open the external link. When I looked at the source I determined that the path to the source in the link was wrong. I then made a copy of the file, and on that copy corrected the source and hey presto, the spreadsheet loads in 2010 with no problems.

We then asked the user to try it in 2003 and it still hangs. Tried safe mode in 2003 and it also hangs.

Not sure where to go from there...
Had to go home after that to avoid getting snowed in at work...
Mark P

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GoToLeep

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back