Stacked Chart

cnguyen

Hi,

I am trying to make a bar graph using a primary and secondary axis and want my bars to appear side by side (un-stacked) but no matter what Chart Type I select the graph keeps stacking my bars Can anyone help find a solution? Thanks!

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.
Hi Cnguyen,

I do not believe that Excel is stacking the data. I think it is overlapping them. Try changing your Gap Width on a series and you will see. An easy fix is to add a blank column in your data and then make the gap width as big as possible.

Steve=True

Upvote 0
Hi Cnguyen,

I do not believe that Excel is stacking the data. I think it is overlapping them. Try changing your Gap Width on a series and you will see. An easy fix is to add a blank column in your data and then make the gap width as big as possible.

Steve=True

Hi Steve=True,

I have tried adding a column in my data AND changing the gap width to no avail, the only thing that occurs when I change the gap width is that one of "stacked" columns gets extremely small.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
They are not stacked. The secondary series is in front of the primary series, and any taller primary bars appear stacked on the secondary ones.

Trying to plot bars on primary and secondary axes will only confuse the people trying to make sense of your chart.

I've written a tutorial showing a more effective way to display the data:
Column Chart with Primary and Secondary Axes

Upvote 0
two things spring to mind, it either needs to be a clustered bar chart

or

you need to set up the data on different lines so they are reported differently (can be tricky)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ralemanygarcia

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back