status bar "functions"?

rynait

Hello all,

searched internet and various forums for this kind of capability.

My idea is to use status bar (already have this VBA coding to give activecell's color index), and

click on button on status bar (like clicking zoom and macro on default status bar) opens a command window, enabling changing the color Index in active cell (would be similiar to opening colorpicker.xml).

So the question is how do enable or implement click capability within VBA code for the status bar or
place a text box on status bar to be able to enter different integer number?

Roy

Last edited:

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
Hi and welcome to the MrExcel Message Board.

As far as I know, it is not possible to customize the Status bar in that way.

However, you can change the Command Bar at the top of the screen to add your own macros etc.

Upvote 0
Hi and welcome to the MrExcel Message Board.

As far as I know, it is not possible to customize the Status bar in that way.

However, you can change the Command Bar at the top of the screen to add your own macros etc.

If the program has the capability, then the possibility to use this capability does exist. The question resides on how to enable or implement this.

Sorry RickXL, your answer is rejected, just because "not know" is personal knowledge.

just to be clear, were you saying, aware of other forums not presenting this information?

Roy

Upvote 0
Sorry RickXL, your answer is rejected, just because "not know" is personal knowledge.

Roy

i think the part "as Far As I Know" answered your rejection

Free Advice forums have no mandate that you accept the replies offered, however the providers of the replies on this forum usually offer amongst the best of advice it is possible to recieve

and if one of us offers a reply that others reject then we have a discussion within the thread to arrive at solution or compromise we never REJECT any advice it all has value

oh

Welcome to forum

Upvote 0
Roy

What existing functionality are you referring to?

You can't add buttons to the status bar and there are no events, eg click, associated with the status bar.

Upvote 0
Hello akatrouble,

Let me rephrase my rejection consideration into a question.

is he saying; aware of other forums not presenting this information? Or is he saying: there is no documentation suggesting this technique?

Roy

Upvote 0
Hi, I am sorry that you do not like my answer.

I looked at my Excel 2013 and carried out a quick check of task bar functionality and it seems that there are various options that you can select. However, I did not see any way to customize it to add buttons of text boxes etc. I also checked using Google to see if there was anything obvious that I had missed.

In response to your: "If the program has the capability, then the possibility to use this capability does exist." there are several responses. Firstly, you could re-write Excel in the language of your choice and add that functionality. I wish you good luck with that.

Another option (assuming Windows here) which is theoretically possible would be to find the windows handle of the task bar and add the functionality yourself - again using a programming language of your choice. Effectively, you would be writing a Windows program that contained the additional functionality which would use the task bar as its display window. Both Excel and your enhancement would need to run at the same time.

However, if you could carry out either of those options yourself then you would not need to come here and ask.

I see your question as saying something like: My local bank has a front door but I don't want to use it. Builders can make doors so why can't I? Making the door is only a small part of the problem.

I am sorry that I cannot offer any more help.

Upvote 0
ah, not interested in rebuilding the whole excel application. :eek:

I see your question as saying something like: My local bank has a front door but I don't want to use it. Builders can make doors so why can't I? Making the door is only a small part of the problem.

I am sorry that I cannot offer any more help.

let say using your bank analogy, what I wanted to do is walk in with coat "colorpicker or colorindex", using the same front doors entryway.

I have been researching futhermore on the statusbar. I suspect that excel or office implements statusbar through OS libraries, mostly with user32.dll.

And from research eventhough statusbar is available OS wide, and click event response in statusbar must be handled by parent (not by OS).

That means if MS Office or MS Excel is using OS statusbar library, Office/Excel has to handle the click event and no information is given here.

continuing on with his bank analogy, the doors is built by an obscure subcontractor that has passed away.

Roy

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@ rynait
Excel doesn't allow customizing its statusbar in the way you are asking as kindly mentioned by RickXL and Norie
Why don't you use the default colorpicker button in the commandbars or add a new button to it ? Any particular reason you need to use the statusbar for this ?

I remember doing something similar which involved some API coding but that was in excel2003 ie: before the advent of the new office-commandbars interface

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biglake87

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back