Stop auto-refresh on Pivot Tables

Gemma D

Hello, <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Does anyone know how to stop a pivot table automatically refreshing when you drag & drop options in from the navigation panel?? :confused: Is this a setting in the OLAP cube that needs to be changed?

Ideally, I would like to construct a pivot table & then click the refresh button to generate the information.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
All suggestions welcomed! Thank you!<o:p></o:p>

Gemma

Excel Facts

Test for Multiple Conditions in IF?
Use AND(test, test, test, test) or OR(test, test, test, ...) as the logical_test argument of IF.
Hi there - You can just go to the table options and make sure "refresh on open" is unchecked and "refresh every XX minutes is unchecked"

Then it should only refresh when you hit the exclamation point.

Upvote 0
Do you really mean *refresh*, as in it re-querying the pivot's data source (in which case I think Nancy's suggestion should work).

Or do you mean that you don't want it to re-draw or re-calc the pivot until you're done adding/moving fields? In which case you might want to try out the Pivot Table wizard's layout helper. You can arrange all the fields there and then, when you click FINISH, the wizard will create the pivot.

Upvote 0
Yes, I mean 'refresh'. I have used the Wizard, and this is very helpful, but I need to drill down into the dimentions table of the olap cube - this is what takes the time & crashes my machine!!! Any ideas?? Thanks :)

Upvote 0
I'm sorry, but I don't have any experience using a "OLAP cube" per se as a pivot source. Other than ranges, I have only hooked into Access tables. So I don't really have a means of testing your scenario. Were I hooking into an Access query and triggering unwanted refreshes, I would change the query to a make-table query in an attempt to decrease volatility. Not sure if you have a similar option available to you.

Upvote 0
Yes, I mean 'refresh'. I have used the Wizard, and this is very helpful, but I need to drill down into the dimentions table of the olap cube - this is what takes the time & crashes my machine!!! Any ideas?? Thanks :)

There is option at bottom "Defer Layout Update" and if you will check that check box then you have to click update every time you want to update your pivot table

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back