Stop special format 0000 from being changed to a Zip code

David20

Board Regular
I'm trying to set a cell to accept a 4-digit number that may have leading zeros. I've set Numbers - Special Formatting to "0000" but Excel changes it to be a postal zip code from Portugal. Any idea how to keep it from using an existing formatting when I want to use a custom special formatting?

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
Have you tried Format>Number>Custom... and then just 0000?

Upvote 0
No, using Format Cell > Number > Special "0000" does not work. When I enter it like that, Excel automatically changes the format to a Portugal postal code. I'm trying to figure out how to stop Excel from making the change.

Upvote 0
Well when I change the format like that and type in a number like 555 it's formatted as 0555.

Isn't that what you want?

Upvote 0
That is what I want, and it works the same for me. However, I've had similar difficulties in the past with Excel changing the format and it has caused problems. I was just hoping there was a fix.

Thanks for your help.

Upvote 0
I've honestly never seen this before and I can't find a fix.

It even changes the Locale for Special formats, which is kind of worrying.

I tried changing that back to English, set the custom format to 0000 and it went to Portugese Postal code again.

I don't know if this is something that you should just ignore or if it would have further implications.

Upvote 0
Yeah, it's the change of locale that bothers me the most. I haven't been able to find a fix other than setting the format to text, but I have to have the numbers as numbers for other purposes.

If you ever find a fix, I'd love to hear it.

Upvote 0
I've honestly never seen this before
Neither have I. Is it possible that Excel has always done this and no one ever noticed before??? That seems highly unlikely to me... I wonder if this might be some kind of side effect to an update that Microsoft has made somewhere down the line?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ASBeard

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back