Stop Text to Columns Repeating

dd/mm/yy

Hi all

When I run text to columns once, it continues to apply those settings if I paste something else in afterwards. For example, I run text to columns on some comma separated data in my spreadsheet, but then if I try and paste in a sentence including commas it splits the sentence into separate columns too.

Is there anyway to stop this repetition behaviour? I can't find anything on the TTC dialog or in the Excel options.

Thanks in advance

dd/mm/yy

GlennUK

Text to columns isn't a setting, it's an action. So, Excel can't "apply those settings" to cells, something else must be going on.

BrianB

The only way I can see at present is to click in the formula bar and Ctrl+V to paste there. I wonder if you have a version of Excel that gives more Paste Special options ?

" It Is A Feature, Not A Bug "
(A quote from Microsoft on any subject imaginable)
:biggrin:

dd/mm/yy

BrianB, thanks for the suggestion, I'm using Excel 2003 but have no extra Paste Special options so can't get around it that way.

Here's an example of my problem:

I put the following data into Excel and run comma separated text to columns on it to split it into columns:
a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,i
j,k,l,m,n,o,p,q,r
s,t,u,v,w,x,y,z,?

Then I try and paste in the following sentence and it also gets split into two columns at the comma, which I don't want:

hello, how are you?

This continues to happen even if I open or create another workbook, it only stops when I close the session and open a new Excel session.

GlennUK, I realise TTC is an action, but I was looking for a "repeat text to columns in this session" type option, if there is one.

Any suggestions anyone?

Thanks in advance

dd/mm/yy

KenCriss

Are you using the Text to Columns Wizard that comes with Excel or some other piece of VBA or UDF to split your data? I could find nothing in the Excel help dealing with this occurance.

dd/mm/yy

Thanks for that Andrew, that topic explained and helped me fix the problem! Cheers

dd/mm/yy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HDavid21

Some videos you may like

This Week's Hot Topics

• Problem with Radio Button's format control
    I am creating an employee evaluation template (a sample is below) Column A is the category Column B, C D, E and F will be ratings (unacceptable...
  • Last Display on userform to a Listbox
    [CODE=vba] lstdisplay.ColumnCount = 15 lstdisplay.RowSource = "A1:O600000" [/CODE] So when i do this it Displays everything on the sheet i am...
  • Rename and move files to a new location
    Dear all, I have an excel file with the following information. The actual file name is at column A but i want to rename it using the following...
  • Help with True/False Formula
    Hello! Am stumped how to fix this formula, in which my result returns 'True', but it should return False. =IF(AG2=True...
  • Clear extra characters from a provided range of cells
    Dear All, I have following code which gives me desired output to remove extra characters from a provided range. But it takes too much time when...
  • Help with Current and highest streaks
    Hi there, I've just joined the forum and this is my first post. I've already spent quite a bit of time searching the net and this forum for a...