Storing range in a cell and using it with Vlookup

Malick2020

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2021
Platform
  1. Windows
I need to do vlookup for a range which is variable depending on the date

for example: =Vlookup(a2,http://mypc/[attendance.xlsx]7th March'!$AR:$AS,2,0)

so for the link of the sheet is fine no need to change, but the tab in the sheet it changes according to date:

for example:

if the date is 8/3/2022 the formula will be like this: =Vlookup(a2,http://mypc/[attendance.xlsx]8th March'!$AR:$AS,2,0)

i tried to put the value of the date in a cell and using another vlookup inside the date but it didnt work. i also tried to use indirect formula to recall the sheet link but it didnt work also showing #Ref error.

Btw the lookup value is coming from a table cell.

so any ideas please?

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
You cannot link via INDIRECT to a closed workbook. If the workbook is open, then fine. Just build the link in INDIRECT just using filename and sheet, i.e. without full path.

Upvote 0
You cannot link via INDIRECT to a closed workbook. If the workbook is open, then fine. Just build the link in INDIRECT just using filename and sheet, i.e. without full path.
so the only way to build a link and use it with formula is using INDIRECT? i tried filter and index actually and it worked but building link wasnt success :(

Upvote 0
Filter and index won't work if you need to point to different sheets in an external workbook. Show your attempt to build a link in Excel using INDIRECT.

Upvote 0
Filter and index won't work if you need to point to different sheets in an external workbook. Show your attempt to build a link in Excel using INDIRECT.
here is an example:

=FILTER('https://MREXCEL.COM/REPORTING[ATTENDANCE.xlsx]11th March '!$AS:$AS

i want "11th March" to change according to another cell which containing the date using vlookup from another reference sheet.

Upvote 0
That is not attempt to build a link in Excel using INDIRECT. It also shows a fully qualified external link, indicating that you do NOT have the external workbook open in the same Excel session. Look at this and see if you understand : =Vlookup(a2,INDIRECT("'[attendance.xlsx]" & cell ref containing 8th March as text & "'!$AR:$AS"),2,0)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmaske

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back