Storing range references in an array

Bill_the_Bear

Hi all,

I'm having trouble finding a solution to this problem.

I have a worksheet into which I want to copy data from many different ranges on many other worksheets, the exact number of ranges depends on how many are found. What I need to be able to do is have my macro identify these ranges while looping through however many sheets are in existence (I can do that bit) and then "remember" the ranges it has identified (I can't do this bit).

Its important to "remember" the ranges rather than just copy each one as its found because some user input is required first:
a) Not everything found will be copied, only what the user selects
b) Its possible that the detection will be imperfect and so the user is going to be given the opportunity to manually select additional ranges

I assume the easy thing to do is have an array, and each time the code finds a range it saves a reference to that range into the array. I can then present this to the user on a userform and add flags based on their input to the array to indicate what to do with each found range.

The problem:

I can't find how to store references to ranges into an array (or into cells of a hidden sheet or any other substitute etc...). When I search for this problem the results are overwhelmed by questions about storing the values in a range into an array, and if there are any results about storing the reference to the range I can't see them amongst all these other results.

I suppose it wouldn't be too much less efficient to just copy in the values to the array instead, but it seems like this will mean the array is storing a vast quantity of data only for the user to then select only a small fraction of it to then be copied to the sheet. It seems to me much better to hold in the array the locations of the data and only start to copy them after the user has decided which ones they want. Also better to do it direct from one sheet to the other instead of having two copy tasks, first from the many sheets to the array then from the array to the master sheet.

I'm sure this must be quite simple, all I really need to know is how to put one range reference into an array and then I can work out the rest from there.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Last edited:

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
Couldn't you just store the address of the ranges in the array?
Code:
Dim arrRanges()

For I = 1 To 10
    If Cells(I, "A").Value = "Thing" Then
        ReDim Preserve arrRanges(cnt)
        arrRanges(cnt) = Cells(I, "A").Resize(,10).Address
        cnt = cnt+1
    End If
Next I

If cnt>0 Then
    MsgBox Join(arrRanges, vbCrLf)
End If

Upvote 0
Norie,

Thank you, I tried storing address in my array using some trivial example and it looks like that will do exactly what I need!

Its going to take me longer to implement this into the larger function, plus debug everything because I'm a noob, but I'm 99% sure this is going to work.

Thank you!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vivek chauhan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back