Structured Table References / Tables / Name Manager

rgs694

Hello all,
I've been doing a lot of work recently with nesting formulas such as vlookup, if, sumif, countif, etc., to reference areas as large as 7-Columns x 5,000-Rows. Although most of the formula references go down to the 5,000th row, the data that I paste into these areas may only go to 2,500 or so rows. I've done this because the amount of rows can change week to week, and will growth over time just the same, so I want to make sure my formulas capture any new data rows (columns will always be 7). After a little research, I understand that I need to get smart on Structured Table References. This table structure will allow me to paste my new data into the area, and have Excel more efficiently perform calculations... without having a lot of nested formulas continually referencing empty cells.
My question is... is the "table" part of Structured Table References simply setting up a basic table, then applying the special structured syntax (ie, using table names, using brackets, colons, etc)? Or, is there a special way to set this table up? I'm using Excel 2010, how does the Name Manager (or Create from Selection) play into this? Does that create the same table?
Thank you,
-Rich

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
I forgot I had this question out there, my apologies. I checked out your link... good stuff. I've seen this series somewhere before, I'll go to it more often now. Thanks Weazel.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
c_clark

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back