Submitting userform through internet to master file

L

Legacy 219053

I'm relatively new to Excel and VBA, so please excuse me if I'm not using the right terminology, or if it seems that I am not familiar with this type of application. I have been given this assignment as an intern, and as I have had no experience with something like this, I am coming here for guidance.

I've created a userform where all the inputs are in one column. I plan to send it out to hundreds of people. I need to make a button on the bottom which will submit their info to me. Any easy answer would be to make the button email their spreadsheet to me, but with hundreds of forms, that would be ridiculous. Can I make a button where it will take that one column and put it on a master spreadsheet that is on my computer, or in the cloud? I'm assuming that this is possible as long as they have an internet connection. Obviously, the button needs to be dynamic as I don't want one user to overwrite another user's column. Furthermore, I want the information from that one column to be sent to one of two spreadsheets, depending on what the user selected in a dropdown in one of the cells (the dropdown only has two options).

Is this possible? Should I assume that whatever I could think up is doable with VBA? I would greatly appreciate it if someone could advise me on this matter, or if you could point me towards some resources on the internet that may be useful for this application.

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
If you want some kind of server-client application, I believe it will be extremely painful to code it as there are not enough resources on the web.
The closest thing I could find on the first page of google was http://p2p.wrox.com/book-access-200...erstanding-client-server-development-vba.html
Other than this link, it was all about VB6.

You might be able to use winsock library for your project but this is only for windows system.

Another option would be to use email just as you suggested and make a routine where the excel file would read the unread emails with specific title, parse the information and record dynamically onto the master excel spreadsheet. Keep in mind, the user may use different email services.
This option is much more do-able for a beginner in VBA or server-client application.

Also, maybe you can connect to a pre-existing SQL server to do your bidding.

Upvote 0
Getting VBA to search and pull from an email account sounds like the option I would be most interested in, and more comfortable with. Thanks for the advice. Does anyone know of resources on the internet which would help me start this project?

Upvote 0
Why not have a look at google forms? This will allow you to send all the users a link to the form, allow them to complete it and all the forms are summarised in a Google docs Spreadsheet, you can then just copy and paste this into Excel

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hvp2262

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back