Subtracting Work and Overtime...

Cyle

Ok, I have created a fairly large spreadsheet that figures all the work time for employees, including sick time, holiday, vacation, etc. My question is the way I currently have this set up, time is based on a day by day basis, i.e. Mon-Fri, and if someone were to work more than 8 hours, it would automatically give them overtime, one cell would max at 8 hours, while another would show anything over 8. I have another sheet in the workbook that sums up the entire weeks time to get a normal 40 hours, everything works great except that if someone were to get overtime, say 2 hours on a Mon-Thur, and the worker chose to take that 2 hours of that overtime time off on Fri, my weekly sheet would show 38 hours of regular time with 2 hours of overtime. How can I subtract that overtime to make my weekly hours equal 40 an zero out the 2 hours of overtime.:confused:

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
Thanks for the quick reply. Mon-fri, 8 hrs a day gets me my 40. I have a workbook with a tab for everyday and another tab that sums them all up. This is how I get my 40 hrs, I have a total hours cell on each sheet, a regular hours tab that would max at 8 and for overtime I subtract regular hours from total time. If someone were to take their overtime off, they would show less than 40 hrs(this time is all based off of my regular hours figure that would max at 8.) Do I have to link my total time (which is limitless) and subtract overtime to get my 40?

Upvote 0
a very simple solution would be to do the following

assume hrs run from A1 to A7 and overtime in Column B1 to B7.

below that in column A8 type 40

then in B8 the following formula

=B7-(40-A7)

the only problem with the above is it would always generate 40 hrs for the paid week as the 40 is fixed

Upvote 0
Thank you. I believe that that function with those ideas will work for me. I will give it a try today and get back with you.

Upvote 0
I used that formula, but changed it to figure daily time instead of weekly, but that formula did work. Thanks, so simple yet it kicked my butt.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purevega

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back