Sum absolute value based on multiple specific criteria

TacticalExcel

Hi guys,

Current Format and Background:

I am trying to sum the absolute value of a long list of positive and negative values that also contains #N/As. Currently I have written an array formula that looks like this:
=(SUM(IF(ISNUMBER(Plants!$P$1676:$P$1744),IF(Plants!$P$1676:$P$1744>0,Plants!$P$1676:$P$1744)))-SUM(IF(ISNUMBER(Plants!$P$1676:$P$1744),IF(Plants!$P$1676:$P$1744<0,Plants!$P$1676:$P$1744))))

The ISNUMBER function works to deal with the N/A values and I am returning the absolute value for the range shown.

My full range is much longer and contains data from multiple "Plants". I want to return the absolute value for each individual plant, and and so I have organized the data such that all data from the same plant is grouped together. In the formula I simply change the range to reflect the range of data for Plant X vs. Plant Y vs. Plant Z and so on.

The Issue

As I refresh my data however, the range of data for a specific plant may change, and so I want to write a formula that refers to the name of "Plant X" as opposed to the range of Plant X so that way I do not have to go back and check the range in my table for each plant and then re-enter the new range into each formula.

Unfortunately I do not know how to structure the formula in a way that does all 3 things I need it to do

1) Sum the absolute value
2) Ignore #N/As to prevent errors
3) Do the following two only for a specific named Plant.

Thank you in advance for the help. I am using Excel 2016.

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
I think the simplest would be to change the #N/A results to 0 in your values, so you could just use a simple SumIf() formula. For that matter, you can just add a "helper" column, with the value (if not N/A) and otherwise zero. Then use SumIf on your helper column. Some people don't like that kind of solution but I find it generally very convenient since the spreadsheet is thereby extremely easy to understand and maintain (even for people who know very little advanced Excel).

That said, you can just add the plant criteria to the formula:

{=SUM(IF($A$1:$A$9="Plant X",IF(ISNUMBER($B$1:$B$9),ABS($B$1:$B$9),0),0))}

Last edited:
Upvote 0
First off, that formula can be much shorter because Excel has an absolute value function ABS:

=SUM(IF(ISNUMBER(Plants!P1676:P1744),ABS(Plants!P1676:P1744)))

Confirm with CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER rather than just Enter.

If you have named ranges, you can certainly substitute that into the formula:

=SUM(IF(ISNUMBER(PlantX),ABS(PlantX)))
Confirm with CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KMGLarson

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back