600 Pat Place
job
IL Cotr
deck
WA Brown
flex

<tbody>
</tbody>

I am working on a rather complex timesheet. One total I require is the total PO sum having Type = "deck" with a unique Job#. The job# may be listed more than once, and the PO for that job may be listed more than once - but the difficultly is that the rate for each job should only be added once per job. Also, the function needs to work even if some of the record lines are blank. So, in the example, the correct answer is $757. I am not using VBA. I thank you for your solutions.

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
Does this work for you?

=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF($D$2:$D$8="deck",MATCH($A$2:$A$8&$D$2:$D$8,$A$2:$A$8&$D$2:$D$8,0)),ROW($D$2:$D$8)-ROW($D$2)+1)>0,$C$2:$C$8))

confirmed with Ctrl+Shift+Enter.

Upvote 0
Thanks! It works great. I wish I had a better understanding of how/why.

This is what I see happening. The match function returns the relative position of exact match info found in A2:A8 & D2:D8. If it is a "deck" record, then the relative match position is passed to the frequency function. The frequency function passes its results into the bin array specified by "Row(D2:D8)-Row(D2)+1". If the results of the frequency function are greater than 0, then the C column cell for that record is added to the sum.

I think I get what is going on except for:
1) The concatenated arrays used in the match function. What is matching and how can two columns be done at the same time?
and 2) The frequency function array input, bin output and return result. Seems like the bin array equation resolves to a number between 1-7.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back