Sum Dynamic Range Based on Cell Address Result from an INDEX MATCH array formula?

CBICA

I have a formula that I use to dynamically find the value of a cell based on a two row lookup.
It's a P&L, and you can imagine something like:
2018 2018 2018 2018
Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4
#A #B #C #D

Except for 5 years, the #A etc represents a number (revenue, cogs, op inc, whatever). I want to sum an arbitrary four quarters based on a target quarter.

To try to make the formula simple, I'm hardcoding the lookup row, hence the bold '1', but could easily add another MATCH in there to find the target row to return. This works and gives me the target result based on a Year and Quarter lookup:
{=INDEX('P&L'!$A$6:$AB$6,1,MATCH(YEAR(INPUT!$J$4)&INPUT!$J$5,'P&L'!$A$2:$X$2&'P&L'!$A$1:$X$1,0))}

However, I want to then SUM the previous 3 cells to the target cell returned from the formula above.
I thought something with CELL(addr or SUM(OFFSET(the formula above),0,-3), but that just returned an error.

Is there a way to sum the four cells based on the target cell returned from the indirect array formula?

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
Actually, probably happens a lot here ... I went back and tried a few combinations, building it piecemeal, and I think I got it to work.

First made sure I was referencing the right cell, set up a dummy cell and used =CELL('addr',[formula from above]) ... which worked.

Then I used Indirect to unwind and get the value of the return cell from the formula above.

Then I did =SUM(INDIRECT(dummycell),OFFSET(INDIRECT(dummycell),0,-3,1,3))

And it so far checks out. Wow.

Upvote 0
Control+shift+enter, not just enter:

=SUM(OFFSET(INDEX('P&L'!$A$6:$AB$6,1,MATCH(YEAR(INPUT!$J$4)&INPUT!$J$5,'P&L'!$A$2:$X$2&'P&L'!$A$1:$X$1,0)),0,-3,1,3))

will also work.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TAKLAM

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back