Sumif on data where criteria are mixed on columns and rows

korhan

Board Regular
Hi! I have a data where I am trying to do a YTD calculation but my criteria are both on rows and columns. I am trying to do a YTD sum based on Year and Item columns. However, the problem is that my months are on the columns. Is it possible to do a YTD calculation, for instance, Year = 2022 & Item = 2, months Jan - Jun.
YearItemJanFebMarAprMayJunJul

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).
Hi, apologies I couldn't think of a solution for you right now. BUT, there is a function coming, thats in Beta Testing for O365 (if thats the version of Excel you are running today) that could be perfect for you in future when it does actually arrive mainstream. (apologies I've no idea when that could be.. maybe others on here might know more..)

Assumptions:
YEAR = col A, Jul = Col I, and therefore I assume Dec = Col N. Headers are in Row 1, and I used 3 rows of test data below.

This example would require you to type in your desired year (2022) into cell P1. Then your Item no. (2) into Q1. Finally you need to enter a date within the month of interest (so 01/06/22 for June ?) into R1.
Where I have "4" rows in my data, you'd also have to correct for your dataset length (rows) - so N4 would be N500 or whatever in your case etc.

Excel Formula:
=SUM(DROP(FILTER($C$1:$N$4,($A$1:$A$4=$P$1)*($B$1:$B$4=$Q$1),0),-12-MONTH(R1)))

Again, apologies it won't work today - but in future.. hopefully you can come back to it as soon as DROP() gets launched. If you don't have O365.. then maybe you'd also need to invest !

Essentially it creates an array of 12 columns of data (=each month) of the rows that match your criteria (2022, and 2). Then it uses the DROP() function to knock off the last 6 columns (ie. -12-6 where the 6 gets generated by the month() number of your inputted month date in R1)
So you end up with 6 columns instead, and simply SUM them all together.

cheers
Rob

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catterz66

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back