Sumif the difference between two columns for accounts listed in column x if the value is less than zero

ChrisChee

Good Morning,

I am trying to find if there is any way to use a sumif formula that will:

SumIf the difference between Column C and Column B for all accounts in Column A that are in the list shown in Column D on another spreadsheet.

I have used a sumproduct(sumif formula in order to sum the value in Column C of accounts in Column A that are in the list in Column D on another spreadsheet (ending value) and again the sumproduct(sumif formula in order to sum the value in Column B of accounts in Column A that are in the list in Column D on another spreadsheet (beginning value). However, I want to be able to break down the difference between beginning and ending value by accounts that have changed value between Column C and Column B greater than zero, less than zero, and no change at all.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks.

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1R1HMa1jqOVUDdCVV9DTW9nQjA/view?usp=sharing

Hi,

Let me know if the link above does not work. This is a very simple example as I have multiple lists and many periods to compare, however, I think you will see what I am trying to do from the example attached. I have highlighted in yellow the fields that I need a formula for with the expected results now (note I was able to get these results manually given the small amount of data).

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Accounts1/1/20132/1/2013Account NameExpected Results:
A1020ABeginning Value316
B130BSum of Value differences less than zero-4
C1614CSum of Value differences less than zero where 2/1/13 is zero-13
D1919DSum of Value differences greater than zero23
E2225EEnding Value322
F2523F
G2828G
H3134H
I3432Z
J3737T
K4043
L4341
M4646
N4952
O5250
P5555
Q5861
R6159
S6464
T6770
U7068
V7373
W7679
X7977
Y8282
Z8589

<colgroup><col span="7"><col><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
Ok, I think I follow most of what you mean. You only need formulas to get the "-13" and "23" in this case?

Upvote 0
Awesome! And the -4, however, that figure could be backed into as that would be the only remaining variable.

Thanks again!

Upvote 0
Try the following:

Delete the spaces before and after each < or >

Sum of Value differences less than zero=SUMIFS(Accounts!H2:H11,Accounts!H2:H11," < "&0,Accounts!G2:G11," > "&0)
Sum of Value differences less than zero where 2/1/13 is zero=SUMIFS(Accounts!H2:H11,Accounts!H2:H11," < "&0,Accounts!G2:G11,"="&0)
Sum of Value differences greater than zero=SUMIFS(Accounts!H2:H11,Accounts!H2:H11," > "&0)

<tbody>
</tbody><colgroup><col><col></colgroup>

Upvote 0
Thanks for the quick response. Assuming column G is 1/1/2013 and column H is 2/1/2013, this formula doesn't really get to where I need to be. For only those accounts listed under "Account Name" in my example, I am trying to aggregate from the table to the left in my example, those accounts which decreased in value between 1/1/2013 and 2/1/2013, those which churned (e.g. had a value at 1/1/2013, but no value at 2/1/2013), and those that increased in value between 1/1/2013 and 2/1/2013. In my example, I am looking the difference between only two periods, however, I am trying to use a formula that can bifurcate the change in account values looking at different periods. Therefore, I cannot simply create a column to show the value differences and then sumif as the periods are changing depending on what span of months I am looking at and the list of accounts changes depending on the period I am referencing.

Hopefully I did not over complicate things with my explanation, however, thought maybe explaining the purpose would help produce the result. Thanks again for your help.

Upvote 0
I got to open the first link you provided and I guided myself with the "Accounts" sheet where you had beginning value and ending value. So, what you need are 3 formulas that work directly from Accounts/1-1-2013/2-1-2013 columns? Let me think a little bit.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kirbito

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back