SUMIFS criteria based on a manual table

TheMegaSage

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I am creating a template file with formulas so it can be easily shared out across departments. There are a number of categories (such as Staffing, Software, Outsourcing, etc) on this template. I am looking up from a data dump, and there is a column that will contain different (what we call) voucher text. I want to create a table with the common "voucher text" in one column and then a second column that shows the category to which it belongs.

For example, one voucher text will say "Salary GL Code for 590 J99112530-1", and another will say "Salary GL Code for 591 J99112530-1". Each department has its own three digit code (590, 591, etc), and the rest of the text will change each month, but it will always start with "Salary GL Code" ...

I want to create a table that says:
TermCategory
Salary GL Code*Staffing

Then in the SUMIFS, I want to use a criteria that does a search on the custom table so when it finds a row with Salary GL Code, it returns the Category to make sure the cell I am summing is in the proper category.

If I hardcode the search criteria, it works, so as a 'brute force' method I'm doing a + to multiple SUMIFS formulas. Example:

=SUMIFS('[Data.xlsx]Data'!$Q:$Q, '[Data.xlsx]Data'!$C:$C,$B$1, '[Data.xlsx]Data'!$S:$S,$B$2, '[Data.xlsx]Data'!$P:$P,"*VACATION ACCRUAL")
+SUMIFS('[Data.xlsx]Data'!$Q:$Q, '[Data.xlsx]Data'!$C:$C,$B$1, '[Data.xlsx]Data'!$S:$S,$B$2, '[Data.xlsx]Data'!$P:$P,"Salary GL Code*")

Any thoughts about how to get away from the need to hardcode?

Excel Facts

Move date out one month or year
Use =EDATE(A2,1) for one month later. Use EDATE(A2,12) for one year later.
It would be extremely helpful if you could post a copy of your worksheet using the XL2BB tool.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back