Summary Table in Embedded Excel Sheet in PowerPoint does NOT Stick to Pivot Table Rows When Slicer is Selected

Edward Watson

I got a stumper for you. I've embedded an Excel 2010 table into PowerPoint 2010, with four pivot tables and four slicers. The source Excel file is saved as an Access database (which I linked to the PP file following Insert-Excel spreadsheet/Data-From Access).

I then created four pivot tables in the embedded Excel spreadsheet and created four slicers, with each linked to all four pivot tables, so that the managers can see different data results using the slicers during the presentation (I'm making a dynamic PowerPoint presentation).

I also created a summary table that captures the totals of each pivot table (i.e., budget, cash flow, actual, etc.). As the slicer selector is used, all pivot tables are instantly updated, including the summary table, and the associated charts.

Looks great in Excel (albeit, without needing the Access database), but doing the exact same process to the embedded Excel in PowerPoint does NOT allow the summary table to capture the sums from the pivot tables.

When I created the summary table in Excel, the cell data says "=GETPIVOTDATA ..." and highlights the top left row of the referenced pivot table despite I did a simple "=##" (where "##" is the pivot table cell that I was copying). However, when I do the same thing in an embedded Excel sheet within PowerPoint, the cell data does NOT say "=GETPIVOTDATA ..." but just does an "=##" (e.g., "=B42").

The practical result of this difference is when one of the pivot tables shifts size due to different slicer conditions, the summary table just shows "$0.00" in every cell because what was originally "B42" is now B41 or B40. (For example, in all four pivot tables, the row labels are based on a risk ranking, but some project portfolio areas and project managers [both of which are separate slicers] do not have all risk types [for example, some may not have any projects with a risk rank of "IV"]. I've tried pasting links, using every permutation of F4, formulas, and everything else I can think of, but no matter what I do, that summary table will not stick to the relevant pivot table cell when the Excel file is embedded in PowerPoint.

The odd thing is the slicers work fine with the pivot tables (they update per slicer selection); it is only the summary table.

Help!

Ed:)

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaagu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back