Sumproduct + vlookup

reneev

Board Regular
I have just learned how to use the SUMPRODCT with VLOOKUP in order to sum an array of columns inside a vlookup as shown below.

" =SUMPRODUCT(VLOOKUP(C6,B12:F18,{3,4,5,6},0))"

Now, this particular formula is basically calculating year-to-date totals where column 3 is 1st qtr, column 4 is 2nd qtr etc... HOWEVER, this formula has to be updated each quarter to add the next quarter to the mix. So for example, this month I'm only looking at 1st quarter so would only bring in column 3. But next quarter, when I update the formula, I need to add column 4 so I would now have {3,4}.

The problem is that I have to copy this formula through a lot non-consecutive rows so it's kind of a pain to update. What would be great is to replace the {3,4,5,6} with a reference to a single cell that contains the columns I want to include. So in my mind the formula would look like this:

" =SUMPRODUCT(VLOOKUP(C6,B12:F18,{$A$1},0))" Where A1 contains 3,4,5,6.

Does that make sense? Just trying to automate as much as possible and I don't want to create another column in my data set which sums only the quarters I'm looking for.

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
Re: Help with SUMPRODUCT + VLOOKUP

I tried your formula, and I could not get it to work. And putting {3,4,5,6} into a cell to populate an array does not work in Excel. However, there are options. If the columns you want to sum are contiguous, you can try something like this:

ABCDEFGHIJ
5ValueNum ColumnsSum
6b410
7#REF!
12a
13b12345678
14c

<colgroup><col style="width: 25pxpx"><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col></colgroup><thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>
Sheet5

Worksheet Formulas
CellFormula
E6=SUM(OFFSET($C$12,MATCH(C6,$B$12:$B$20,0)-1,0,1,$D$6))
E7=SUMPRODUCT(VLOOKUP(C6,B12:F18,{3,4,5,6},0))

<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
Re: Help with SUMPRODUCT + VLOOKUP

Let A1 house the number of quarters. 1 means 3; 2 >> 3 and 4; 3 >> 3, 4, and 5...

Control+shift+enter, not just enter:

=SUM(VLOOKUP(C6,$B$12:$G$18,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&A$1))+2,0))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teemeren

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back