sumproduct with threed

russj

Hi everyone, I'm trying to do something that appears rather complicated to me. I'm using an array function (sumproduct) but i need to use 3d references, which arent compatible with some array functions. So, I'm using threed to change a 3d array into a 2d array. This is all to work out how many time a text string appears in an array, within a certain month (the beginning of the month is listed in another, seperate array and the end in another seperate array). I may be overcomplicating things...
Can anyone take a look at the following formula and tell me why I always get a #REF error, regardless of where I put the brackets etc?

=SUMPRODUCT((THREED('December 2008:July 2008'!E2:E500))="Burford")*((THREED('December 2008:July 2008'!E2:E500))>=$L8)*((THREED('December 2008:July 2008'!E2:E500))<=$M8)

Thanks
Russj

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
Welcome to the Board!

I believe your parenthesis are incorrect? Try:

=SUMPRODUCT((THREED('December 2008:July 2008'!E2:E500)="Burford")*(THREED('December 2008:July 2008'!E2:E500)>=$L8)*(THREED('December 2008:July 2008'!E2:E500)<=$M8))

Or maybe try this, but you should get the same results:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(THREED('December 2008:July 2008'!E2:E500)="Burford"),--(THREED('December 2008:July 2008'!E2:E500)>=$L8),--(THREED('December 2008:July 2008'!E2:E500)<=$M8))

At first glance that is one thing I noticed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks Scheirl.

I think I have tried every possible combination of parenthesis's but none have worked - I've also tried that "--" thing, still it says #REF!
It works fine without THREED,, but I need THREED because I'm using multiple worksheets...

Driving me mad, have spent about 2 days on it with no success!

Russj

Upvote 0
Just to make sure, does July 2008 and December 2008 sheets exist? I assume they do, but just wanted to check? Maybe here is an error on those sheets?

Upvote 0
Yeah the sheets definately exist and there are worksheets for all the months in between, in the same format.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately I do not see anything wrong with the formula. I have some small sample data that I was testing with and it worked for me? There are other solutions to sum or count accross sheets without using threed, but that is not my strong point as I would maybe hope that Domenic comes accross this thread, because he is very good with those types of formulas. Here is something he did with sumif:

http://www.ozgrid.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27306

Maybe you can somehow adapt it. Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance.

Upvote 0
Make sure that the actual sheet names within the sheet tab are spelled correctly, and that there aren't any extra spaces before, after, and within the name itself.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_smith_solihull

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back