Super Newbie

SueKi

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Thank you in advance for both taking the time to look and, if you respond, having patience while I try to understand.

An important part of my role is controlling inventory so that we have enough to support service, but at the lowest investment possible. I need to transform how I'm tracking and analyzing. Currently, I take a weekly snapshot of the inventory that includes fields like planner code, MTO/MTS, inventory type, etc. It's all in one huge spreadsheet and I work off of pivots of that dataset. It works.

I'm being required to change my data source. The new source will have the inventory qty and cost, but not the additional fields I use to analyze. I think my original scheme, though fast and easy, wasn't the best as far as data efficiency - the planner for item X is stored 52 times per year, even though it never changes - so time for a change before it explodes anyway.

I'll have 3 different files as data sources - weekly inventory data (which is a ton of rows) and item attributes and inventory classifications, about 10k rows each.. They tie together easily by part number. Can you recommend a set up? Do I just put 3 pages in a workbook and use power pivot, or am I better to tie 3 workbooks together somehow so it's not all in one giant file? Is that power query?

I get a new inventory file each week. I just consolidated YTD out of a folder using power query (thank you youtube). I don't know if I should plan to cut and paste or use power query to append somehow when the new file is out each week? Or just connect to the folder?

I can probably figure out how to do things once I have a good direction.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.
So you have weekly inventory files being saved in a folder. Do you need all of them or only the last one? Both options are doable with Power Query.
I would connect to all sources via Power Query and load them in Power Pivot/data model and create pivots. I just hope you data files are normalized in such way they can be used in a data model.

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Faraz5023

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back