Tables structure issue

PowerCris

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi everyone,
Cris here, with my very first steps in PowerBI. I'm a self-taught Excel-fan and consider myself at an average level. I got fascinated by PowerBI and want to improve the way I present my data (Sales & Marketing) within my company (truth is that I do all this cause I simply have fun learning new stuff).

I think I have a tables-structure issue and why I "solved" this in Excel with brutal copy/paste, it's time for me to dig into that and do things properly. Here's my problem:
I have market data for a certain product, a very simple table composed by Country (rows, in variable number depending on the actual market evolution) and product categories (columns, fixed number).
Then, I have the very same table but with our company market data. Structure is the same, as we receive the info from an authority. Same rows, same colums*

The issue started when I wanted to create what in Excel is called combo-chart, showing total market data (vertical bar, divided by product categories) as well as a line chart showing our market share.
As said, I can do it (the old brutal way) in Excel but I think it's time for me to dig into tables structures and profit from the "power of BI".

Any suggestion/recommendation on how to properly structure the database? I tried to look online for some tutorials but possibly I'm not using the correct keywords (I'm not an English native speaker)

* Actually, data received from the authority are more raw. We get one single table where countries are still in rows but product categories and our sales of each category are all columns, one after the other, like:
ProductA | /* | ProductB | /* | ProductC | /* | ....
(where "/*" is our sales on the product on the immediate left. I do correct data and split into either two tables, or one master table with proper column naming)

Look forward to learning from you guys,
Cris

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ikke

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back