Take contents of a cell and break into separate rows

Peptide

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,
If A1 has the work TROPICAL, is there a formula that can break apart the letters so they appear as follows: (Note: A1 could have varying lengths of words)

A2 = T
A3 = R
A4 = O
A5 = P
A6 = I
A7 = C
A8 = A
A9 = L

I don't really understand just what you are trying to cut/paste and why.

Your example had TROPICAL in B15 and the formula in B16 copied down (but how far I'm not sure).
In post 10 you are talking about the cut/paste from B15 to C15 or to D15 or to C5 or to H13. That would just be cutting TROPICAL and pasting it elsewhere. There should be no problems with that & the formulas remaining in B16 & down should still split that word into letters, so exactly what are you trying to cut/paste?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
Hi Peter,
Thx for replying.

Current example has B15 with TROPICAL and the formula starting in B16 and copied down 50 rows to B65 as some data in B15 could be that long.

I want to be able to cut/paste B15:B65 to say C5:C55 or to H13:H63 and have the formulas adjust so they would still work as right now they don’t.

Hopefully this helps?

Upvote 0
I want to be able to cut/paste B15:B65 to say C5:C55 or to H13:H63 and have the formulas adjust so they would still work ...
With the formula from post #7 in B16 and then copied down to B65 if I then select B15:B65 and Cut, select H13, Paste, everything still works for me. That is, TROPICAL is now in H13, T in H14, R in H15 etc.

What happens when you do that? What do you get in these cells? H13, H14, H15, H21, H22, H63

Upvote 0
Hi Peter ,
Sorry for the delay. It does work perfectly as described. Not sure what I was doing last time, but we are all good to go!

Thanks again as always for your help and insight.

Upvote 0
Hi Peter ,
Sorry for the delay. It does work perfectly as described. Not sure what I was doing last time, but we are all good to go!

Thanks again as always for your help and insight.
Good news. Thanks for letting us know.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chislobog

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back