Tallying list overlap

AlanRY

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi everyone,

Got a big puzzle/challenge for you. I’m framing it this way because I know it’s a bit of a doozy, even if on its surface it might not be. I have intermediate-level Excel abilities; I’ve used it for a lot of math, have done pivot tables, 15 years ago I even used macros (?) to make somewhat of a point-of-sale system where cashiers could click buttons that would essentially total up ticket purchases and add them to running totals. So I’m willing to get a bit into the weeds, that said, I don’t have a strong command of what’s available. Right now I need help measuring overlap of email lists numerically (rather than highlighting specific or naming specific items that overlap).

Let’s say I have 10 lists, which I do. We’ll call them lists A through J.

I’d like to be able to look at each list and tally up how many people overlap. It’d essentially be one table for each list, that’d hypothetically read out as:

List A: 10,000 email addresses
38 people on 9 other lists
73 people on 8 other lists
125 people on 7 other lists
[so on and so forth until 1 other list]

List B: 8,000 email addresses
25 people on 9 other lists

and on and on until we have tables for each letter up through J.

One additional wrinkle is that it has to be such that the “other lists” can’t be specific. IE When I want to know how many people on list A are on “7 other lists”, there are endless combinations of what those seven other lists could be. I don’t want to just remove B and C, because that’s just one combination of 7. All lists (that aren’t A in this case) need to be cross-checked to create that tally.

Thank you for reading this far and for your time. I hope I’m making sense. Open to any ideas or clues!

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
I made a much shorter example. It requires email addresses to appear only once in any one list.

MrExcelPlayground18.xlsx
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVW
2List AOther TablesList BOther TablesList COther TablesList DOther TablesList AList BList CList D
3a@b.com3a@b.com3a@b.com3a@b.com312email addresses8email addresses10email addresses11email addresses
4b@b.com0c@d.com1y@a.com1t@u.com1Other Lists:Other Lists:Other Lists:Other Lists:
5c@d.com1f@d.com1m@n.com1u@t.com113131313
6f@d.com1z@a.com1n@m.com1up@down.com212021212
7z@a.com1q@r.com1q@r.com1left@right.com191716161
8y@a.com1r@s.com1r@s.com1g@h.com110002030
9m@n.com1g@h.com1gigidy@fg.com0h@g.com1
10n@m.com1h@g.com1up@left.com1pp@aa.com0
11t@u.com1down@right.com0aa@dd.com0
12u@t.com1up@down.com2fred@z.com0
13up@down.com2up@left.com1
14left@right.com1
Sheet25
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
M3M3=COUNTA(Table4[List A])
P3P3=COUNTA(Table5[List B])
S3S3=COUNTA(Table6[List C])
V3V3=COUNTA(Table7[List D])
M5:M8M5=COUNTIFS(Table4[Other Tables],N5:N8)
P5:P8P5=COUNTIFS(Table5[Other Tables],Q5:Q8)
S5:S8S5=COUNTIFS(Table6[Other Tables],T5:T8)
V5:V8V5=COUNTIFS(Table7[Other Tables],W5:W8)
E3:E10E3=COUNTIFS(Table4[List A],[@[List B]])+COUNTIFS(Table6[List C],[@[List B]])+COUNTIFS(Table7[List D],[@[List B]])
H3:H12H3=COUNTIFS(Table4[List A],[@[List C]])+COUNTIFS(Table5[List B],[@[List C]])+COUNTIFS(Table7[List D],[@[List C]])
K3:K13K3=COUNTIFS(Table4[List A],[@[List D]])+COUNTIFS(Table5[List B],[@[List D]])+COUNTIFS(Table6[List C],[@[List D]])
B3:B14B3=COUNTIFS(Table5[List B],[@[List A]])+COUNTIFS(Table6[List C],[@[List A]])+COUNTIFS(Table7[List D],[@[List A]])
Dynamic array formulas.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshu121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back