Text and Date in Same Cell?

jdpro

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. MacOS
Hi,

I would like to enter a date and text in the same cell. When I auto-fill a series of dates with my preferred date format, and then attempt to enter text in some of the cells, the date format changes. I want to have 6-May, but when I enter text to follow the date, it changes to 5/6/2016. In each cell that I want to include text I am forced to retype the date manually to get it to format the way I want it to.

Is there a way to resolve this?

Thank you in advance for any help!

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
Apologies, I should have included. I have a List of dates in cells and in some of the cells need it to show the date and "Cancelled" below the date within the same cell. If I double-click after the date it changes format to the 5/6/2016 instead of 6-May. I Alt+enter to get to second line and enter "Cancelled" but then have to manually fix the date as 6-May and it appears to remove the date formatting in that cell.

Upvote 0
What you need to understand about dates and times in excel is…

a date is just a number representing the number of days passed since 1/1/900...and then formated in a way that we recognise as a date. So, for instance, today (Fri 06 May 2016) is actually 42496

Time is actually a decimal part of 1 (day), so 06:00 AM is 0.25, 12 noon is 0.5 and 18:00 (or 6 PM) is 0.75

When you combine text to any numeric value, the whole thing becomes text, and text cannot "increment" when copied down

If you want to include text with a date, put the date in it's own cell, reference it and add the text
="some text "& text(A1,"dd/mm/yy")
or, based on your last post...
=text(a1&"d mmm")&" cancelled"

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What I understood .... you want DATE with Some Remark like Cancelled.

Code:
=TEXT(C4,"mm dd yyy")  &" " &"Cancelled"

And also you can change Date format according to need

hope it will help you

Upvote 0
What I understood .... you want DATE with Some Remark like Cancelled.

Code:
=TEXT(C4,"mm dd yyy")  &" " &"Cancelled"

And also you can change Date format according to need

hope it will help you

Thanks to both of you for your assistance! :)

I can put "cancelled" on the same line if it is not possible to put a hard return in the formula.

Is there a way to reference the date that is already in the cell? I went ahead and entered the date in a separate cell outside the print area and referenced it in the formula but that seems a tad inelegant and it seems there may be a cleaner way than to manually type the date references for each time the class is cancelled. If not I can work with this. Thank you for your help!

Upvote 0
here we're giving reference from cell =TEXT(C4,"mm dd yyy") &" " &"Cancelled"

Upvote 0
seems a tad inelegant and it seems there may be a cleaner way than to manually type the date references for each time the class is cancelled.

Why not put all your dates in the helper, and then use something like....
=text(a1&"d mmm")&if(B1="cancelled"," cancelled","")

Upvote 0
FDibbins thank you,

I am a little unclear on the references. I'm new at this so if this sounds very basic that is the reason. I am trying to learn more about the meanings of the different elements in excel formulas. :)

When you refer to the locations (A1 & B1), what are they in relation to? For example, the cells that have cancelled classes are: A17, A22, A29 for weekly classes that fall on Monday. I need to cancel these for the Monday holidays.

In Column D in each of the above referenced rows, I entered the dates for reference: D17, 22 & 29. So here is the entry in the formula bar for cell A17:
Code:
=TEXT(D17,"d-mmm")  &"  "&"CANCELLED"

When you say 'helper' I am assuming that you are referring to the D cells that I put data in for reference. Is that correct?

I would like to try your suggestion
Why not put all your dates in the helper, and then use something like....
=text(a1&"d mmm")&if(B1="cancelled"," cancelled","")

but not sure what a1 & b1 would correspond to in my situation.

Thank you for helping a newbie! For future questions I will make a point of giving exact locations. :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Subhash Chand

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back