Text Effects In Excel

monirg

Is there a way to make a text in a cell blinking, or shimmering, or sparkling!!. Only the text, not the fill and not a text box.

Thank you. :rolleyes:

Monir,

I don't get any "jiggle" in my Excel screen when I do this. This may be a side effect of the type of conditional formatting you used. You might try twiddling with the fill color, etc. to see if that fixes it. Or you might try reducing the number of cells impacted.

And I suppose it may be due to something specific with your system (video drivers??? - I am not a "hardware guy" so this is pure speculation).

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
Greg;

I'm using Excel 2003 in Windows XP. I don't have video games or any accessories attached to the system except a monitor and a printer.

Can I send you a blank w/s with only the blinking cell? I don't know how to e-mail it to you via the Message Board Forum.

Regards.

Upvote 0
Greg;

Also, have you noticed that "Paste" and "Paste Special" commands in the Edit Menu are disabled once you run the timer RepeatOneSec() ?

Regards.

Upvote 0
Nifty side effect, that... Simple enough to fix. Just edit the code to something like:

Code:
Sub RepeatOneSec()
    If Application.CutCopyMode = False Then
        ActiveWorkbook.Styles("normal").NumberFormat = _
        ActiveWorkbook.Styles("normal").NumberFormat
    End If
    NextTime = Now() + TimeSerial(0, 0, 1)
    Application.OnTime NextTime, "RepeatOneSec"
End Sub
This will stop the blinking until you complete your paste operation which keeps Excel from resetting the clipboard. This edit will take effect whenever you are in a mode where you see the "marching ants" boarder that indicates that Excel has something pending on the clipboard. Then, once you hit Escape (or Paste if you did a Cut versus Copy) and the marching ants go away, the blinking will resume.

Upvote 0
Greg;

Thanks again for your tremendous help. The text effects works alomost perfectly now!
The only side effect remaining is the the "jiggling" in the w/s, the mouse Pointer, the task bar Ready, etc., while the timer is running. This pulsating effect appears to be at one-second intervals!

Interestingly enough, when the w/s is busy doing calculations, the jiggling (or pulsating) disappears completely and the blinking continues quietly!
Once the calculations are done, the pulsating restarts despite the fact that the conditional formatting is no longer True and there is no blinking!

I have the Activate and Deactivate events in the w/s code, Open and BeforeClose events in ThisWorkbook, and RepeatOneSec() and EndProcess() in a standard module.

Incidentally, I've numerous macros in the w/b, and one w/s SelectionChange event doing something else for the same w/s (not time related). Could it be a conflict among the events ? or do you believe it is a conditional formatting issue ?

Can you come up with one more brilliant suggestion ?
Thank you.

Upvote 0
In one of Tushar's earlier responses (ID=14) for moving an asterisk down in cells A1:A10, he suggested setting the conditional format to:

Formula Is =(MOD(SECOND(NOW())-1,10)+1)=ROW()

What if one wants the asterisk to move down in cells A4:A8, still one step each second, and then restarts the cycle at row 4 !

How would the above formula looklike ?? and
How would the above formula looklike if one wants the asterisk to move up in cells A8:A4, and restarts at row 8 ? so that one may show some kind of circular motion surrounding critical results in a range of cells in a single column.

I've tried various varyations to the above formula without achieving the intended results! Is it really that difficult ?

Thanks a lot. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I'm trying to use Tushar Mehta's solution to have certain cells FLASH.

I've prepared a macro excatly as per Tushar's instructions, in fact I copied it from the message board into a macro.

When I run the Macro I get the message: "The Macro 'RepeatOneSec' cannot be found."

Here's the macro from this topic:

Option Explicit

Dim NextTime As Date
Sub RepeatOneSec()
End Sub

Anyone have any idea of what's occurring ??

Thanks

Stan Sz

Upvote 0
Did you put it in a standard module? That's where it should be; not in a ThisWorkbook or Sheet{n} module.
StanSz said:
I'm trying to use Tushar Mehta's solution to have certain cells FLASH.

I've prepared a macro excatly as per Tushar's instructions, in fact I copied it from the message board into a macro.

When I run the Macro I get the message: "The Macro 'RepeatOneSec' cannot be found."
{snip}

Upvote 0
Yes, of course, that was the problem.

How does the Master know the solution, before the novice is aware of the problem ??

Because he's the Master, that's how.

Thanks again.

StanSz

Upvote 0
I now have the procedure in an Standard Module, and it works very well.

But...

I'm using the Flash routine depending on the setting of a Check Box.

I have a Linked cell with the Check Box linking to P24

In P25 if have If(P24 = True,1,"")

My conditional formatting says "=AND(P25= 1,MOD(SECOND(NOW()),2)=1)"

When I click the Check box the flashing does occur, but when I unclick the check box I get an error message: "Method 'OnTime' of Object '_Application' failed'

Here's my code:
------------------
Sub RepeatOneSec()

C = Range("P25").Value

If C = 1 Then
Else
Call EndProcess

End If

End Sub
--------------------
Sub EndProcess()
Application.OnTime NextTime, "RepeatOneSec", , False
End Sub

------------------

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks

StanSz

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnur

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back